Fw: faint supernovae candidates

From: Naoki Yasuda (naoki.yasuda@nao.ac.jp)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 05:28:28 PDT

    Hi,

    I have got the following response from Dan Green about IAU circular I submitted.
    I'm planning to answer as the following. Is there any sugestion?
    I'm not certain about S02-016 and the dates of spectroscopy.

    (1)
    All objects are bright enough compared to the detection limit(about 26.0mag).
    For S02-016, it is not moving objects, but there is possibility of AGN.
    Dates of photometric observation are the ones in submitted material.
    Dates of spectroscopic are given in the following.

    (2)
    Yes, all three objects are supernovae.
    Only their types are not certain from spectra.

    (3)
    SCPname Spec date HST date
    S02-049 Apr 16 Apr23,May01,May13,May24,Jun06
    S02-000 Apr 12
    S02-002 Apr 12 Apr22,May03,May14,May26,Jun11
    S02-016 Apr 14
    S02-032 Apr 16 Apr22,May01,May13,May24,Jun05
    S02-075 Jun 05 May20,May30,Jun10,Jun23,Jul03
    S02-064 May 11

    ---
    Naoki Yasuda @ National Astronomical Observatory of Japan
    e-mail: naoki.yasuda@nao.ac.jp

    ----- Original message ----- From: Dan Green <dgreen@cfa.harvard.edu> To: naoki.yasuda@nao.ac.jp Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 11:47:17 -0400 (EDT) Subject: faint supernovae candidates --

    Dear Dr. Yasuda,

    We have received your report of faint suspected supernovae, but have a few questions:

    (1) Can you provide limiting magnitudes from the images in which no object was found at the apparent supernovae positions? This is particularly important for object S02-016, for which you apparently cannot verify its being a supernova from the spectra. For this particular object and the three final ones that are also questioned by you, can you provide dates on which all these four objects were actually observed (whether for photometry, spectroscopy, or whatever)? I take it that "reference exposures" mean exposures that show nothing each each respective apparent-supernova position?

    (2) Are you sure that the final three objects are supernovae from the spectra? I see that you question the supernovae types.

    (3) In connection with my first question above, it would be good to have the dates that each object was observed spectroscopically and the dates that each object was observed by HST for photometry.

    Many thanks, and regards, Dan Green

    Daniel W. E. Green [green@cfa.harvard.edu] Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.