Re: FORS2 time

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 06:24:52 PDT

> Also, can we use this time -- or any of the other FORS2 time we have
> left over -- for spectroscopy too? We still have spectra we would
> like to get as soon as possible.

Which ones are still on the list to get spectra of?

Here's what I don't know:

  (1) What candidates have been/will be followed with the CFHT rolling
      search? And which don't have spectra?

  (2) Are there dimmer Subaru candidates which have some photometric
      followup but which don't have spectra?

As far as the ones I do know everything about, it's the handful of bring
CTIO supernovae plus S02-064 which we've been following. Of those, at
this point only one doesn't have a spectrum (T02-047 if memory serves,
but see my latest WIYN mail).

Unless we've got more with lots of photometric followup awaiting
spectra, at this point I'm thinking that it probably makes more sense to
use the FORS time for photometry to make sure we have good lightcurves
of already-identified candidates, rather than blowing it on the
necessary long spectra of now-dim-but-medium-redshift candidates.

-Rob