Re: low-metallicity SN

From: Andy Howell (DAHowell@lbl.gov)
Date: Fri May 17 2002 - 10:49:39 PDT

    Ahh, I see -- sorry I misinterpreted Saul's comments. If we really can
    make the case that this is a low metallicity host galaxy then I would
    argue that we should get very good coverage of this SN at the expense of
    any other SN, even z=1 SNe. The reason is that with this one SN we can
    test a hypothesis and potentially learn something about how they work.
     If the SN is different then that is very exciting, and something we
    need to know. If it is the same as any other SN, then we have verified
    the use of Ia's across a wide range of environments. Either way, it
    would make an interesting paper by itself. Compare that to one z=1 SN
    which just slightly changes a contour on our omega-lambda, omega-m plot,
    and doesn't tell us anything about systematics.

    Of course, all of this depends on how sure we are that this really is a
    low metallicity host.

    -Andy