low-metallicity SN

From: Greg Aldering (aldering@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 19:17:08 PDT

    Since I'm traveling I don't have access to all the relavent
    information, but I do know that the host of one of the z ~ 0.5 SN Ia's
    from this run add low luminosity (about that of the LMC) and strong
    OIII. Both are indicative of low metallicity. Unfortunately the spectrum
    has very little UV coverage, so the correspondence between SN UV brightness
    and host metallicity cannot be established. This was an arguement for
    obtaining a bluer spectrum. NIR follow-up might also be worth consdering,
    but not at the expense of our z ~ 1+ SN Ia's.

    This object is what Saul was referring to as low-metallicity z ~ 0.49 SN.

    Cheers,

    Greg