Re: Tonight's program at the VLT.

From: clidman@eso.org
Date: Sat May 11 2002 - 07:08:08 PDT

    Hi Rob,
       For FORS1, the 0.7" slit is probably a better choice than 1" slit
    for wavelength coverage reasons.

      All the long slits are cut into a single mask and are in different
    places in the focal plane, so the spectra are shifted relative to eachother.

    This is not a problem with FORS2 as FORS2 has a bigger chip, but for FORS1,
    the spectra will start at 6300 Angstroms.

      If the SN have z>0.8, this is not a problem, but for lower z, this is getting
    uncomfortably red.

    Cheers, Chris.