Re: coordinates

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Fri May 10 2002 - 17:52:31 PDT

    > Whereas the finding charts from the web give (J2000)
    > 13:25:46.62 +27:34:20.93
    >
    > Why are they so different? It looks like the finding charts are correct
    > when I compare with an image of the field from the GMOS observing tool.

    Subaru APM matches are often scary -- the images are so deep that
    anything that might match to an APM star might be saturated. The
    finding chart images usually have APM solutions which were vetted by the
    person making the finding chart, and may have been bootstrapped from a
    shallower image. Coordinates on finding charts are always to be trusted
    more than coordinates in sntrak. (Indeed, there's something to be said
    for going back to sntrak and putting in the finding chart coordinates.)

    -Rob