Re: Lifan's also thinking early SN, but 91T-like...[Fwd: [Fwd: C02-016 - aka VotezChirax]]

From: Peter Nugent (nugent@sauls.lbl.gov)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 10:13:12 PDT

    > Here's what Lifan's program fit. I guess the main interesting thing
    > here is that it independently found the same redshift (for a 91T-like SN
    > Ia about a week before max) as the redshift of the OII line that Chris
    > reported a hint of. Have a look particularly at the last of the three
    > spectrum links that Lifan's email points to.

    Yes, that is consistent with what I said. 91T-like Ia's and Ib/c's do look
    a lot like each other. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there is a lot
    of extinction for this SN, the spectrum looks too blue. Also t is missing
    a prominent 91 feature at 5000 Ang restframe. As Lifan said a bluer
    spectrum would be nicer to figre this out. Given how faint it is I doubt
    it's a 91T since I don't see the extinction. Another spectrum would be
    nice but I don't know if we have the time to do that.

    > Peter had recently convinced us that 91T's don't necessarily have lots
    > of extinction -- but I guess it doesn't mean that this one couldn't have
    > extinction. Lifan, did your fit also give a best-fit extinction? (Of
    > course, this may be off, because it depends on what extinction is
    > attributed to the 91T template.)

    Peter who? Not this Peter, since the only 91T's I've seen are quite
    extinguished. I've looked at 5 of them and they were all effected by
    dust, 91T is one of the ones LEAST effected by dust of this class...
    Given that the spectrum is flux calibrated it sort of lies right on the
    unextingushed 91T spectrum I have at -7 days. It is 1.0 mag fainter at
    this epoch than 91T would be at this z. I wouldn't bother with more obs,
    other than the rolling photometry, unless we have time to kill.

    Cheers,

    Peter

    --
    Peter E. Nugent
    Computer Scientist - Scientific Computing Group - NERSC