Re: Correction to the time available at cfht

From: Saul Perlmutter (saul@lbl.gov)
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 17:13:35 PDT

    [The following discussion is now primarily concerned with Tuesday and Wednesday
    night at CTIO -- not tonight's plan, which is already in progress.]

    "Robert A. Knop Jr." wrote:

    > Two important questions: will the additional rolling search time beyond the
    > next five nights help lightcurves of deep supernovae? (how much rolling
    > time is there? the schedule makes it look like there are ~4 more nights
    > after May 10 for the rolling search).

    The rolling search time in May and June will be good for following lightcurves
    that are at z < 0.8, I believe, but we may end up using a little of our WIYN
    time to improve SNe that are on the borderline of being too faint. This is a
    question that Ariel was looking into with Reynald. (Is that right, Ariel?)

    > If we find more supernovae in
    > "fresh" fields, will we have time to follow time anyway?

    The main reason these additional SNe in fresh fields would be useful is if we
    don't have enough "good" CFHT SN candidates at z ~ 0.85 to send to HST.
    Otherwise, these would not be followed like the CFHT ones will be in the
    rolling search.