Re: Urgent topics: CFHT upcoming search nights & VLT followup

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 18:26:52 PDT

    > Here's a simple question that numeric names are important for:
    > Q: "[CFHT, Subaru], have you loaded all of your Supernova into SNTrak?"
    > A: "Well there was that one at an RA of 12:30 and the other at an
    > RA of 12:31. I'm not sure. Let me go check the list. Oh, wait,
    > how should we sort our list to make sure we have everything?"

    OK, I can't let this rest.

    Will somebody explain to me what is so *bloody* hard about this?

    In SNTrak you can get a list of supernovae sorted by RA, looking at all
    of them or just one subset (e.g. S02 or C02.)

    Presumably, anybody else with a list of supernovae can order them in RA.

    At that point it becomes pretty frikkin' easy to just compare the two
    and see which ones aren't in the database yet.

    Why do you guys make this so hard? What's the matter here?

    If the world really thinks this is so hard, use the following algorithm:

      send all supernova candidates you want int he database to Rob. He
      will make sure that they are in SNTrak.

    I don't understand why everybody else has such trouble with this, but if
    they do, I'll just do the whole frikkin' thing myself.

    -Rob