finding charts and tiles

From: Alex Conley (aconley@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 21:51:54 PDT

I've been updating tracker with finding charts for the subaru supernova.
There's also a web page devoted to the finding charts and tiles:

http://lilys.lbl.gov/deepdb/sntrak/
http://panisse.lbl.gov/followup/charts/spring_2002/

I have exercised some editorial perogative in choosing which
candidates to make finding charts for. If you have a favorite
which I have not included you are welcome to try and plead your case
to me.

Finding sufficiently bright offset stars has proven to be a bit of
a problem, which has not been successfully resolved for many of the
objects. Hopefully the magnitudes are off. Well, I know the magnitudes
are off (since the observers failed to get standard star observations
last night, these magnitudes are based on APM magnitudes -- even though
subaru doesn't use a standard I band filter!), but I hope that they
are off in the direction that the stars are actually brighter than we
claim they are. In any case, suitable offset stars may be one of the
dividing factors between Keck and VLT, as VLT appears to be able to
use fainter ones.

Alex