"fun" names for candidates

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 09:20:29 PDT

For the past few runs we've used "funnames" in addition to the standard
"number" name for the candidate. These were composers a lot of the
time; they were Shakespeare characters during the Spring 1999 run. The
Frogs have been using names of cheese and provinces in France.

This year, in the SCP database the "funname" for CFHT and Subaru
supernovae will be whatever name is assigned to the candidate by the
finding team. In addition, a C02-xxx or S02-xxx name will be
automatically assigned at the time when the candidate is added to the
database.

For the CTIO search, we have two options:

  (1) Dispense with it entirely; don't use any name other than the
      T02-xxx number name (the true unique specifier for the
      supernova). I know this would make some happy. If we are going
      to do this, we should decide it fairly soon as it involves a
      software change.

  (2) Choose a theme. We've pretty much used up most composers even
      Saul and I have heard of. What theme would folks want to use
      this year? Some suggestions:
        * Renaissance painters
        * Characters from Lord of the Rings (very topical nowadays)
        * Cat breeds (we'll run out, though)
        * Names of internal organs ("I discovered the spleen!!")
        * World/state capitals
        * Mountains
        * Random words appended with "eege"
        * Names of universities
        * Verbs describing actions one could perform with an aluminum pipe

Note that I'm only talking about the CTIO supernovae here; the FROGS and
Momoru's group should each decide internally which additional name will
be assigned to the supernovae found by their searches. This year, we
will resist adding an additional name under the CTIO scheme to non-CTIO
supernoave as we did last year. Thus, when we're done, each supernova
will have at most three names: the "official" number name which is
unique in the SCP database and assigned automatically when a candidate
is added to the database; the name assigned by the discoverer which may
or may not be whimsical; and the name eventually assigned by the IAU
when we get around to submitting a circular. (The IAU name, obviously,
won't be assigned until after the search is over.)

-Rob