one addendum re: sntrak

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 21:09:11 PST

Adding candidates to the database is not functional at the moment, but
will be by the end of the day Monday.

The most important information to have in hand when adding a candidate
is:

  * RA and Dec (J2000)

  * Time of discovery

  * S/N *in the subtraction* for this candidate

  * %INC (which is 100*(n-r)/r , where n is the measurement on the search
    image and r is the measurement in the reference image (n-r is the
    subtraction, obviously).

  * Magnitude at discovery.

You may also optionally rate the candidate and so forth. Please read
the definitions of the rating numbers before assigning a number! (There
are clear links on the page.) Thereafter, you can go in with SNTrak and
change much of this information, including the rating numbers. You can
also add links to finding charts and textual comments on each candidate.

At the moment there is no way to automatedly add lots of candidates in a
batch. Or, rather, there is -- assign somebody to sit down and do it.
That's a human batch system. If this is not acceptable, then just send
the lists to me and I will add them all. (I have enough experience with
runs by now to know that I'd rather just enter them all by hand myself
then provide a system for others to do it in batch; if I were to do
that, I'd spend the entire search run debugging the automated system for
new special cases that kept popping up. I've been down this road.)