Re: Comments on your CMAGIC draft - 16/08/2004

From: Alexander Conley (AJConley@lbl.gov)
Date: Mon Aug 23 2004 - 17:00:28 PDT

    Hi Chris,

       Thanks for reading the draft so quickly.

    I'll respond to your more substantive comments, and try to
    get the improvements you suggest into the text as quickly as
    possible:

    Section 4, 2nd comment (B and V at different times) :
       This turned out to be much less of an issue than I thought. I
    required that
      the B and V data points be within 0.1 days of each other. In order to
    get
      more points I had to loosen the requirement to 7 days. It appears
    that,
      at least for this data set, people never took a rest frame V
    observation
      except right after a rest frame B observation. I know that this is
    not the
      case for our latest ACS observations.

    Section 5: CMAG relations at high redshift
       I didn't actually use the goodness of fit critereon here, or require
    that the
      SNe have more than 2 points. I should have explained this better, but
      the real requirement is npoints > 2, sigma_beta < 0.5. SN2000fr,
      believe it or not, does NOT meet this requirement -- it's slope is
      rather poorly measured (sigma_beta = 0.66). I felt that SNe with
      very poorly measured slopes don't really contribute to the discussion.

    Section 6.1: Dispersion
       I was actually doing my best to not compare dispersions. I think
    that this
      issue is a quagmire, and am really hoping to avoid it. Lifan is
    working on
      a paper where he talks about this a lot.

    Section 8 : Slope fit to dispersions
         The S = 0.7 value is ignoring errors. Including the errors is a
    little scary
       because they are presumably rather correlated -- but you are probably
       right, I should at least try to do something with them.

    Section 8: npointsmin > 1
       The shift is mostly along the long axis (Omega_2), by about 1/4 sigma,
          but there is also a component along the short axis of about 1/6
    sigma.
        In the normal fit, Omega_1 = 0.09 +- 0.11 , Omega_2 = 1.48 +- 0.81
        With npointsmin 2, Omega_1 = 0.11 +- 0.12, Omega_2 = 1.66 +- 0.97

    Other points: s_b = s_v
       This is an ugly issue. The short answer is that it doesn't matter
    for the
      CMAGIC fits, but plays a slighly larger role in the maximum magnitude
      fits. In either case it isn't a big difference. I feel compelled to
    do it the
      way that I did because if you believe in CMAGIC you also are forced to
      acknowledge that s_B != s_V for all SNe. But I should certainly try to
      clarify that it doesn't really affect the result.

    Alex