Comments on 99ac paper

From: Chris Lidman (clidman@eso.org)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2005 - 18:50:39 PST

    Hi Gabriele,
      Here are some comments on the 99ac paper. Overall, it looks in good
    shape.

    Cheers, Chris

    Overall
    =======

    The paper (in particular the introduction) needs to be carefully read
    by another person before submission.

    Abstract
    ========

    type Ia supernova -> Type Ia Supernova

    Do you mean (SN) or (SN Ia) in the first line?

    "Iron lines ... average." -> " The expansion velocities inferred
    from the Iron lines appear to be lower than average; however, the expansion
    velocity inferred from Calcium H and K are higher than average."

    "dissipates" -> "disappears"

    Introduction
    ============

    Compared to the rest of the paper, the first part of the introduction
    is not well written. I think this section needs some work.

    Paragraph 10.

    "an extreme" -> "an outlier"

    Paragraph 11.

    "with those other"

    Section 2.
    =========

    Paragraph 4.

    There are two extinctions used A_V=0.51 and A_V=0.14. Which one is
    correct.

    Why not apply telluric line correction to the curves in figure 2, since
    you do them later?

    Section 4
    =========

    5th paragraph

    "based" -> "based on"

    6th paragraph

    "For each ion, optical depth" -> "For each ion, the optical depth.

    Is an increase in the BB temperature from day -15 to day -9
    reasonable? I guess the reason is that we are looking deeper into the
    ejecta.

    dissipated -> disappeared

    Section 5.
    =========

    Second paragraph

    A space between "core" and "Consider"

    Section 5.2

    "systematically greater" -> "systematicaly higher"

    Acknowledgements
    ================

    The ESO program ID was 63.O-0347(A). This should be acknowledged in the
    last paragraph.

    Figure 2.
    =========

    What are the sudden sharp dips in the +8 day spectrum? A comment in
    the caption might be necessary.

    "spectral time evolution" -> "spectral evolution"

    Figure 14.
    =========

    "togheter" -> "together"

    Figure 15.
    =========

    "lay" -> "lie"

    Table 1.
    =======

    ESO 3.5m -> ESO 3.6m

    a) "Average wavelength-bin size" -> Resolution (Angstroms). Is this
    the real resolution (= slit width * Angstroms per pixel) or is it
    just the Angstroms per pixel.

    f) "Rest frame" -> "Rest frame days"

    Comments a and f are on top of eachother.

    A loose comma in "d"

    Table 5.
    =======

    You may want to quote v_10 with less significant figures since the
    error is large, i.e. 8470 instead of 8463. Some of the values
    could be corrected likewise.