The 1999ac paper.

From: Rollin Thomas (rthomas@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Mon Dec 22 2003 - 15:03:10 PST

    Gabriele,

    I have been looking over your SN 1999ac paper and I have some pretty
    general comments to give you at this time, and I hope you will be able
    to give me the opportunity to send my more detailed comments to you in
    one week. I would do it for you sooner, but I will be out of town
    (and believe it or not, away from the Internet) from the 24th until
    the 29th. I can promise you a very detailed set of comments when
    I come back, though. Then we can maybe have a back-and-forth kind
    of discussion to shape things up?

    Clearly the most important result of this analysis is the pretty good
    identification of C II and perhaps the C III at early times. That's a
    very good use of Synow. The focus on the C identification is there in
    the paper, but I think its framing in Section 1 needs a bit of work.
    Finding C in a SN Ia is about as important as it gets for models, so a
    more clear discussion of the background would help. For example, I
    notice that you've got the appropriate references for W7, but for the
    parallel discussion on DD models you haven't got any, and you leave
    out some important models. Perhaps it would help your understanding
    to if you went back and took another look at what papers were
    appropriate to put here?

    I am concerned about your classification of 1999ac as 1999aa-like (I
    take you to mean in the Li et al sense). First you make this claim
    and then I look at Figure 3 and I'm not convinced. Without plotting
    them myself, I tend to think that the blue of 1999ac looks a lot like
    1990N, and then in the red, somewhere in between. Maybe this is what you
    mean by 1999aa-like, but then again I am confused. I guess my point
    here is that you should take a long hard, honest look at that figure
    and see if you know what I am talking about. I'm happy to find out
    if you think I am wrong, I just want to know more about why you think
    this way.

    What I'd like also is if (somewhere) you could define precisely what you
    mean by peculiar, if for no other reason than to educate readers not
    really familiar with the Li/Branch debate over the peculiarity rate.
    You do reference papers, but the definition needs to be included for
    the purposes of depth.

    Also, I think it's perfectly acceptible to include fits to the entire
    spectral range of the supernova for just one ion, or for all the other
    utilized ions minus one to prove a point. Close-ups are good in some
    cases, but often I want to see how things look spectrum-wide. I am
    pretty sure David's got examples of this throughout his catalogue of
    fits.

    And again (I admit I haven't read some of the later part of the paper
    very carefully) I want to emphasize that we can't determine the
    envelope structure, we can only constrain it. So I'm always a little
    suspicious of figures like #14 that purport to represent the
    composition without the following caveat: There's a temperature
    structure that Synow can only constrain very weakly, and it requires
    auxiliary code to improve on that.

    Oh, and I've got some 1998aq spectra you might want to look at. I got
    them through David, and they are supposed to be going up on Suspect
    soon (in which case it would be legitimage for you to use them; they
    are public then). You could do your minimum fitting routine on it
    and include those data in your velocity plots. (Incidentally, how
    automated is the code you use to do this? This is the Levenberg-
    Marquardt code you used in the previous paper? Do you need something
    so complicated for this? Too interesting: I digress...)

    I apologize for not having had the opportunity to give you better
    comments at this time, I know how it is when you are waiting on
    comments from people. But I promise if you give me until Tuesday or
    so of next week I can do a much better job.

    Of course if you have any questions about my comments here, or in
    general, you can just email me. It will just take me longer to get
    back to you once I am out of town.

    Sorry again,
    Rollin