CTIO computer monkey night report 1

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 08:41:20 PDT

    We'll have to wait to hear from the observers to see what they say.
    Things worked pretty well on this end (the LBNL or Vanderbilt end,
    depending on whether you care about virtual or physical presence).
    Transfers rolled along at betweekn 200kbyte/sec and 250kbyte/sec, which
    is at least an order of magnitude better than we used to get from
    Chile. We still reduced everything down there (they also have a much
    faster computer), but we used lossless compression this time around.

    As for the data, it looks like they started out with seeing of about
    1.3". It stayed that way for the first 1/3 to 1/2 of the night, then
    briefly got better (between 1.0" and 1.1") for an hour; for the last
    couple of hours, it slowly oscillated up and down, until it started to
    get utterly terrible at the end.

    The folks on-site will have to tell us about transparency.

    A bunch of low-redshift fields were observed, and many of those have
    already been subtracted. It looks like some time may have been lost
    during the deep field, because there aren't as many exposures as I would
    have expected. Most deep field images were of a single CTIO field;
    during the good seeing, there were a few exposures of one CFHT field,
    but nothing much to subtract with. We'll have to wait and see what
    happens tonight.

    -Rob