I-band paper terminal comments

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2005 - 22:35:19 PST

    Short form: it's all good. Shoot that puppy off.

    Long form: I have a number of comments, listed below from most important
    to least important. Feel free to start ignoring them at any time, as I
    don't view any of these as anything near showstoppers.

    I think that all of the referee comments have been adequately
    addressed. Many of the comments I have remaining are due to the new
    text not fully meshing with the old text, or things that should be
    slightly reworded now that 99Q is out. (Plus a few diddily little
    control-freak copy-editor things.)

    (1) Last two paragraphs of Section 6. The new stuff is a bit redudnant
        with the next paragraph. I would recommend the following wording,
        replacing the bold stuff in the penultimate paragraph and the last
        paragraph of section 6:

              Note that the average measurement uncertainty of 0.05 mag can
              be achieved with different strategies. Currently, the
              uncertainties on the individual measurements give the main
              contribution to the peak magnitude and color uncertainties.
              This could be improved either with better measured indivudal
              data points, or with better sampling. The latter approach
              would also allow us to better identify and quantify currently
              unidentified systematic effects which may possibly be
              affecting the current analysis.

    (2) This is probably not worth worrying about at this point. However,
        I'm a little confused about peculiar velocities. At the beginning
        of section 3, you assert that z>0.01 are where peculiar velocities
        don't dominate the trend. Then, in the last paragraph of section 3,
        you say that z>0.025 is where the peculiar velocity uncertainties
        are of the same order as the measurement uncertainties. This sounds
        inconsistent. Is it? Perhaps a little rewording here can finesse
        this.

    (3) Section 5, end of second paragraph. Replace last sentence with
        "While the best fit in each case is a $\Omega_\Lambda$-dominated
        cosmology, the low statistics of the high-redshift sample is
        insufficient to draw strong conclusions on cosmological parameters."

        Adding that little "hey we win" will further address a referee
        comment, and will make the first sentence of the next paragraph more
        sensible.

    (4) Section 4.4, Paragraph "In the case of SN 1999ff and SN2000fr, this
        is quite small." You don't need to say the cases any more, since
        99Q isn't in the table. Just say that the systematic uncertainty we
        quote is quite small for both SNe.

    (5) Section 5, "Note that all SNe have been reported not to suffer...."
        Repalce this with "Both SNe have been reported not to suffer...."

    (6) It sseems very odd in the penultimate paragraph of section 2 to just
        state the S_1 vs S_B result without any comment other than "here it
        is", given what you've done with all previous results. (This is a
        bolded paragraph.) Is there one more sentence that could be said
        here? Gee, it looks like a good match, the dispersion is yadda
        yadda?

    (7) Paragraph just before equation 2. Say "The solid line represents
        the best fit to the data for the concordance model with fixed
        $\Omega_M=0.25$ and $\Omega_\Lambda=0.75$." I added "with fixed".
        Right now, it is very easy to misinterpret this sentence to mean
        that you've fit OM and OL, which of course you would never have
        reasonably done with only low-redshift supernovae. Perhaps also
        replace "The fitted parameter, $\mathcal{M}_I$, is defined..." with
        "The single fitted parameter, $\mathcal{M}_I$, is defined...". This
        is all just clarity stuff.

    (8) Section 4.2, second paragraph. You have a run-on sentence; it
        starts "We found differences with the results published in
        Tonry...." Put a perioud after "originally published results."
        Start a new sentence with "However, the K-corrections"

    (9) Footnote in section 2, kill the comma after "We note that". Also, I
        would replace "there are not physical reasons" with "there are no
        physical reasons".

    (10) Lots of places where you use "high redshift" you should probably
         use "high-redshift". You might want to look through the paper for
         this.

    -Rob