Re: Notes on Iband phone conference 12 Feb.

From: Chris Lidman (clidman@eso.org)
Date: Sun Feb 29 2004 - 19:48:51 PST

    Hi Serena,
      Good work! I've read your replies to the points made at the
    meeting and I've added some comments.

       I'd like to address a point which was not addressed in the
    meeting but is interesting and is partially related to points 8 and 9.

    In the lower half of figure

    http://www.physto.se/~snova/internal/papers/iband/figs/Imax_sb_00fr.jpg

    I note that the best fit template to 2000fr is also the template that
    makes it the brightest. All other fits with poorer Chi-sq (but still
    with chi_sq < chi_sq_min + 3) are systematically fainter.

    We should always be wary of choosing an analysis method which makes
    the data look better, but we may want to reconsider whether or not
    we should use the fit with the minimum chi_sq to define the peak magnitude
    of the SNe.

    If one was to define the peak magnitude as the average of all fits
    that satisfied chi_sq < chi_sq_min + 3, then 2000fr would be 0.15 to
    0.2 magnitudes fainter.

    We might want to think of this difference as a systematic error
    induced by choosing a different analysis.

    I can give you an example of where the chi_sq minimum value is not used.
    When Andy determines the SN epoch, he takes the average of the best five(?)
    fits. I've cc'ed this e-mail to Andy so he can explain to us why
    he chooses this method of analysis.

    Similarly, the fit to 1999ff is the second brightest of all fits with
    chi_sq < chi_sq_min + 3.

    http://www.physto.se/~snova/internal/papers/iband/figs/Imax_sb_99ff.jpg

    Note that these plots are quite flat, which would argue that the
    light curve shape is not all that important in determining the peak
    magnitude.

    In relation to the numbered items.

    1) There was concern for the way the dispersion in the Hubble diagram
       is computed. Serena should compute the weighted r.m.s.

    Serena's reply ...

    I have done this. The weighted r.m.s. gives about the same values as
    the non-weighted r.m.s. due to the uncertainties, which are about the same
    for all the points. However, Table 4 now includes the weighted r.m.s. as
    well as the weighted average for each of the samples. I have also added a
    discussion in section 3 about the differences between the data sets.

    Chris' comment ...

    I think that we were also interested in seeing the RMS scatter about
    the individual Hubble lines and not the scatter about the Hubble line
    that is derived from the entire data set. Was the RMS calculated in
    this way? It is not 100% clear in the paper.

    2) Lifan computes different K-corrections than I. We should try to
       compare them and figure out why there are differences. Serena uses
       the spectral templates published in Nobili et al 2003. Lifan uses a
       sample of nearby spectral templates for which he computes the
       K-corrs and average them out. Lifan will try to compare them.
       As Ariel pointed out, we would like to use templates for computing
       K-corrections, as this is used for the high-z SNe, in order not to
       treat them differently.

    Chris' comment ...

    For this paper, I tend to agree. We should treat high and low redshift
    SNe equally. Nevertheless, the comparison should be done.

    I think that it is worth investigating if we can better constrain the
    spectral energy distribution from some observable, for example the
    B-band stretch, and hence derive a more accurate k-correction. This
    might reduce the scatter about the Hubble line. I am not arguing
    that it should be in this paper, but it is something that the
    collaboration should do.

    10) Serena will try to add the restframe B,V-band for 1999Q, reduced by
        Vitaliy, in the analysis presented in Section 6.

    Serena's reply ...

    This is interesting! It turned out that the fit obtained by SNMINUIT
    fixing the time of B-maximum to Tonry value, would give a color excess
    E(B-V) = 0.2 mag (see email by Vitaliy in the archive on Feb 12). Given
    that this SN is host-less, this value is very surprising. I have been
    playing with numbers and plots. If the B-band stretch factor was sB=0.82
    the colors would make perfectly sense (even in I-band). Unfortunately the
    stretch fitted by SNMINUIT is 1.061 instead. Check plots and discussion
    in:

    http://www.physto.se/~snova/internal/papers/iband/index.new.html#99q

    Giving all of this, I do not think we should add the B-V colors of SN1999Q
    in the analysis of section 6.

    Chris's comments

    Why is the horizontal axis ins these plots scaled with the stretch?
    I've seen this with the B-band lightcurve, but it is the first time I
    have seen this done with colour.

    Would the colour of 99Q be normal if the date of maximum derived by
    Vitaliy was used instead?

    Cheers, Chris.