host galaxy phot-z (fwd)

From: Ariel Goobar (ariel@physto.se)
Date: Mon Dec 20 2004 - 05:05:01 PST

    From Tomas...

    Ariel Goobar (www.physto.se/~ariel)
    Department of Physics, Stockholm University
    AlbaNova University Center, SE-106 91 Stockholm, SWEDEN
    tel: +46 8 55378659 fax: +46 8 55378601

    ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 13:47:22 +0100 From: Tomas Dahlen <dahlen@physto.se> To: Ariel Goobar <ariel@physto.se> Subject: host galaxy phot-z

    Hi,

    here are some results on the phot-zs for the host galaxies to Mingus, Dolphy & Alice C. I also attach three plots with the probability distributions for each host.

    *****Mingus********* SE knot: z=1.46 NW knot: z=1.58 SW knot: z=1.65 all, 0.75 arcsec aperture: z=1.59 all, 1.05 arcsec aperture: z=1.62

    I guess that the 1.05 arcsec should be the best. For the knots, there are probably systematic errors since these magnitudes are not corrected for the small aperture size used (0.18 arcsec, different filters shuold have different corrections, affecting the phot-z measurements).

    *****Dolphy********* 1) NE knot, 0.30 arcsec aperture: z=1.75 2) SW knot, 0.30 arcsec aperture: z=2.00 3) all, 0.78 arcsec aperture: z=1.66

    1) NE knot has NICMOS photometry (which the other don't) . This does, however, not fit any template well. It seems that the NICMOS photometry is 1-2 magnitudes too faint. Maybe an aperture effect? Don't trust this phot-z (or the plotted probability distribution)! 2) Again, small aperture may bias result. 3) I would trust this the most, despite the lack of NIR.

    *****ALICE COLTRANE********* phot-z: 0.46

    This host only has photometry in three bands (VIz), which makes the phot-z determination difficult, resulting in a broad probability distribution. Besides the best fit at z=0.46, there is also a second peak in the probability distribution at =0.8, which is almost as strong as the lower z peak.

    /Tomas