Planning how many orbits in which filters on which days...

From: Saul Perlmutter (saul@lbl.gov)
Date: Mon Jul 12 2004 - 12:33:11 PDT

    Hi Rachel,
        Starting from one of the canned scenarios, we should come up with
    some varients that work for the following cases (I'm betting you're
    already working on this?):

    -- A type Ia supernova found near max at z ~ 1.45
    -- A second supernova in the same field at z ~ 0.85 (which might want a
    few more z-band epochs than the z~1.45 supernova)
    -- A situation in which we determine from the grism spectrum that we
    don't need to continue follow the z ~ 1.45 supernova, because it turns
    out to be a Type Ibc. In this case we may just cancel all the
    remaining follow-up (what do we know about whether we can now do a
    cancellation irrespective of where we are in the calendar or whether it
    is important to put observations right at the beginning of the "next"
    calendar to make this possible?). Alternatively, we might still keep
    following the z~0.85 SN, but drop some of the J or H band observations?

    -- A further possibility would be to *add* some extra orbits -- if we
    are closed to using all of ours up and we might as well finish them all
    up with this run. This could allow a point or points at the CMAGIC epoch.

        Note: Vitaliy is now checking the lightcurve of Nessi to see if we
    might not be too far after max on it, since this could also change some
    of these considerations.