tile distribution plan

From: Tony Spadafora (ALSpadafora@lbl.gov)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 19:53:20 PDT

    HST search,

    Rachel and I just went over the distribution plan and propose the
    follow. The attached spreadsheet has the details.

    By orbit ratio of 19/33 they get 5.5/we get 9.5 tiles. We propose to
    give them the 5 contiguous tiles Adam suggested plus the (north) half
    of 35 -
    this is 29,30,33,34,36 and north half of 35. The extra half-tile
    brings us very close to the desired target - whether you consider tiles
      unweighted or weighted by overlap with the May search, this comes to
    within a few percent of the target ratio (see the spreadsheet).

    The two tiles which we think have a higher than normal probability of
    failure due to guide star limitations are 29 and 30 (in Adam's
    section.) If they or any tile fails in one team's area, they get the
    remaining half of tile 35. This will bring the ratio to 9/5, which is
    close 33/19.

    In the unlikely event that a SN falls on the edges of two adjacent
    tiles, then we do something appropriate like rolling a die with 1-4
    for us, 5-6 for them.

    Does dividing in contiguous blocks change our probability of finding a
    high z SN? For z>1.2 , the statistics for the past two searches (plus
    what they found in the North in the GOODs search) seems too low to say
    anything about clustering.

    -Tony and Rachel