Re: sending adam search priority

From: Rachel A. Gibbons (ragibbons@lbl.gov)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 10:23:17 PDT

    Hi,

        If we're going to group tiles together (I prefer this idea), why not
    have the other team take priority on any grouping which includes 2 of the
    middle tiles, as Adam proposed :

    top 5 (tiles 32-36)
    bottom 5 (21,22,24,25,27 - since 23 isn't being observed this time)
    or side options such as (27,28,31,32,35).

        Randomizing the positions may look nice, but doesn't mean anything
    statistically.

        Also, I think worrying too much about weighting by the search area
    covered in the May search is not necessary. Grouping like I have should
    be close to doing that given the symmetry of the tile positions.
    Remember, the exact HST pointing won't necessarily line up with the map
    (especially tile 30 since it'll be taken at a 6D tilt), so the precision
    to which you measured the tile coverage overanalyses this.

        Make sure Adam has included all follow-up orbits that have and will be
    used on current candidates. I see, for example, they will execute another
    orbit over the weekend. Probably Adam included this in his total.

        I won't be in to the office until later today, since I have a lot to
    do to get ready for my trip tomorrow. So please don't wait for my further
    opinion on this.

    Ciao,

    Rachel

    --