[Fwd: photometric redshifts for SNe host galaxies]

From: Saul Perlmutter (saul@lbl.gov)
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 09:02:11 PDT

    Here's Bahram Mobasher's quick-and-dirty photo-z work for ten candidates
    we had as of last night (I asked for the closest three galaxies to the
    candidate). I told him that we'll give really serious candidates later
    today and ask for the more careful, handwork treatment that he does for
    those.

    Note that we have not yet confirmed that Bahram is giving us the info
    for the galaxies that we think we asked for. This will require looking
    at each image and confirming that there is something located (by the
    offsets from candidate he gives) at the locations of these
    "neighbors." Alternatively (in addition), we can send him some images
    identifying the galaxies we are interested in for a few cases and ask
    him to confirm that he is seeing them. Is anybody reading this
    available to do this who is not already committed to one of the other
    tasks (like getting the rest of the candidates checked)?

    attached mail follows:

    Dear Saul

    Enclosed is the list of phot-z's, spectral types and their 95% confidence
    intervals for the objects you provided. I have listed all the objects
    around your proposed host (within 3e-3 deg). The delta(ra) and delta(dec)
    from your position is also listed. From these you could identify which of
    the objects are the closest to your coordinates.

    Please let me have the revised list when you have it ready so that
    I could measure the redshift probability distribution for the host
    galaxies.

    cheers

    Bahram

    * * *
    * Bahram Mobasher * Phone: (410) 338 4974 *
    * Space Telescope Science Institute * *
    * 3700 San Martin Drive * fax: (410) 338 5090 *
    * Baltimore MD 21218 * *
    * USA * email: mobasher@stsci.edu *
    * * *