Here is the formal approval of the extra 10 orbits we were promised...[Fwd: HST Director's Discretionary Time Proposal]

From: Saul Perlmutter (saul@lbl.gov)
Date: Sun Mar 14 2004 - 14:38:18 PST

    attached mail follows:

    Dear Saul:
        The following is our pro forma letter indicating that your DD proposal for
    the remaining 10 orbits of the supernova search programs has already been
    accepted and put on the HST scheduling........ Forgive the informality, and the
    fact that since I am doing this from home on Friday night and don't have all the
    detailed information, you will have to get it from Brett Blacker if you need it.
        Here's our standard acceptance letter ....

        We have reviewed your request for Director's Discretionary (DD) time
    on Hubble Space Telescope, and have solicited independent
    evaluations of the merits of the proposed science and the technical
    feasibility of the observations. We are happy to inform you that we
    will authorize you to submit a Phase II proposal relative to your
    proposal "Director's Discretionary Time to Complete the Supernova Search
    for GO-9727 and GO-9728". [I believe you may have already done this?]
        The observations are not to exceed 10 orbits, and revisions to the
    proposed observations are not allowed at this time unless specifically
    approved by STScI. As is the case for all DD programs, there will be
    no proprietary time for these data, which will therefore become publicly
    available as soon as they are made available to you.
        Execution of the observations is subject to the satisfactory operation
    of the observatory, as well as to the availability of appropriate
    scheduling opportunities. We will make a detailed assessment of the scheduling
    feasibility for your program after we have received your Phase II proposal.
    STScI reserves the right to not execute any observations for this program,
    if it turns out that they cannot be scheduled in a way that is appropriate for
    the scientific goals of the proposal.
        The ID for your program is (Brett Blacker can tell you), and your Program
    Coordinator (PC), is Denise Taylor (dctaylor@stsci.edu). She will assist you
    with the development, implementation and scheduling of your Phase II program.
    He is your primary contact person at STScI from proposal development through
    execution. If you feel you need special assistance with scientific and
    instrument-related questions, you may request that a Contact Scientist be
    assigned to your program. Please contact your PC if you wish to do so.
        We wish you success with these DD observations.
                                     Sincerely,

                                    Bob Williams
                                      Duccio Macchetto, Head
                                    Science Policies Division