Re: RPS2 plan version 2.0

From: Greg Aldering (aldering@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 00:46:48 PST

    Hi Rob,

    In your plan there is a big jump in the number of orbits in going from
    cases 1 & 2 to cases 3 and 4; I would suggest an intermediate pair of
    cases, with 6 orbits in z (1,1,2,2), with the option of 9 orbits of grism.
    This would handle SNe of intermediate brightness/redshift, or be an easy
    means to adjust the S/N we wish to reach at a given brightness/redshift.

    I'd also like to rise the question of whether there should be additional
    cases offering more J and/or H in the place of grism. We can study this in
    detail later, but there could be benefit to having cases #2'and #2'' with
    0 grism and one more epoch of J & H (say 3 orbits of J and 3 orbits of H)
    or two more epochs of J (3 orbits each). Likewise, cases #4' and #4'',
    with 0 grism and one more epoch of J & H (say 4 orbits of J and 4 orbits
    of H), or two more epochs of J (say 4 orbits each and then 1 more ref
    orbit). One motivation would be that we could implement C-magic if we have
    the additional color points, which would add a little novelity to our
    program wrt Adam's; and we may be able to distinguish the SN type (albeit
    with somewhat less opportunity, I presume, to abort later orbits than the
    grism might afford) using the color curves.

    As it should not be hard to add these additional cases once the other
    cases are entered, I would recommend adding these just so we don't have to
    worry about them later (and then perhaps find that they can't be done). In
    particular, as we must require that NICMOS orbits avoid the SAA, we should
    lock-in as many such orbits we might possible want. Such orbits are very
    valuable and so might be hard to get later on without a big ugly fuss.

    Two other issues that we can study after the RPS2 is submitted:

     1) Should the z, J, H observations be at the same epoch - which makes the
        color calculation easier - or at slightly staggered epochs - which
        helps fill in the lightcurve and possibly make the fit more robust?

     2) What is the appropriate number of NICMOS references? If we use
        a model (continuous or pixel-by-pixel), then the observations
        which contain the SN provide information and we wouldn't get all of
        the sqrt(2) hit that pixel-by-pixel subtraction introduces. Thus,
        where I have added J or H visits of more than 3 and 2 orbits,
        respectively, we may not need to increase the number of references.
        (This decision is very likely to come down to how well the PSF
         NICMOS is expected to be known; Vitaliy is exploring this type
         of question in relation to Albinoni.)

    - Greg