Re: Reply to Handy's

From: Gabriele Garavini (garavini@in2p3.fr)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2005 - 05:03:04 PST

    Hi Handy,

    thanks for your comment.
    I'll implement them soon.

    For the host Galaxy issue as I think is clearly stated in the paper the
    galaxy subtraction was done using Gregory's code, not yours (but in some
    sense his is similar to your, it has a different minimization procedure
    and parametrization). I know that this kind of codes might have a
    problem with the estimate of the galaxy subtraction so I asked Gregory to
    make a small Montecarlo to check the consistency and uncertainty on the
    Galaxy subtraction. So he added some percentage of galaxy to some not
    contaminated spectra and run the software, he reported a 10% of
    uncertainties on the host galaxy contamination computed. The 10% I
    considered in both directions as possible systematic on galaxy
    subtraction. It might not be clear in the text, but of course the 10% is
    +- 10%. I'll make sure to spell this out in the new draft.

    For the Ia-Pec, I'm not claiming this is the first Pec high redshift
    spectrum published (even if it was the first one discovered, but we know
    how these things go) but I do think is interesting to point out that there
    is a peculiar and that we can tell also from the CaHK EW. I do not think
    the paper makes a big thing out of it.

    Thanks you very much
    Cheers
    Gabriele

    > Start of Andy's comments
    > ========================
    >
    > Comment #1
    >
    > The largest source of uncertainty is the host galaxy subtraction. Yet
    > this is swept under the rug. If this was done using the determination
    > from my program, for example, you can't trust any of the conclusions
    > from the paper. My program simultaneously fits host galaxy and SN
    > templates. In other words, it *assumes* that the high-z spectra is
    > similar to a low-z one and subtracts an amount of host light such that
    > the high-z and low-z spectra will look similar. The proper thing to do
    > would be to use the photometry (e.g. percent increase) to constrain the
    > amount of host galaxy light, and to use imaging and spectral features to
    > constrain the host characteristics. You might be able to say some
    > spectrum has 30% host +/- 10%, and is either an E, SO, or Sa. Then you
    > could do different subtractions in that parameter space and test the
    > results. Defining a technique like this would be a great addition to
    > this paper because any time people use high-z spectra they are going to
    > have to do something like this.
    >
    > Comment #2
    > ==========
    >
    > One other point -- in the SNLS we have many 91T/99aa SNe at high
    > redshift. So there is no need to make a big deal out of having one in
    > the sample, as this paper does.
    >
    > Minor comments
    > ==============
    >
    > p. 1
    > Intro, par. 1 -- plural of supernova is supernovae
    > tidly ????
    > par. 4 it should be pointed out that the effect metallicity has
    > on the spectrum pointed out by Hoeflich and Lentz are only for
    > early-time
    > spectra, of which there aren't many here.
    >
    > par. 6 -- I have submitted a paper on SNLS gemini spectra -- Howell et
    > al.
    > 2005, ApJ, submitted
    >
    > p. 2, section 2.1 last sentence, One SNe -> One supernova
    >
    > last paragraph of section -- two days is no longer the uncertainty for
    > the
    > spectroscopic epoch determination in Hook et al.
    >
    > section 2.3, par 1 -- you say EWS but it is not defined yet.
    >
    > p. 4
    > table 2 'Si' should be 'Si 4000' since you say it is absent in
    > underluminous SNe.
    >
    > first paragraph on page - there is a period missing before SN 2002fd
    >
    > p. 5
    > 3.1, 3rd par. "uncertainty in the redshifts is taken to be 300 km/s if
    > the
    > redshift was estimated from galaxy lines..."
    > shouldn't this be proportional to the redshift?
    >
    > 3.2 first sentence -- delete ", they" and second comma.
    >
    > p. 6
    > "possible involved" delete involved
    >
    > p. 7 last par in 3.2.1 delete space in "spectra ,"
    >
    > 3.2.3, 4th par -- delete space: "( with"
    >
    > p. 8 3.3 miss-identification -> misidentification
> [...]

    LPNHE - IN2P3 - CNRS University of Paris VI and Paris VII
    4 place Jussieu, Tour 33 - Rez de chaussee 75252 Paris Cedex 05 France
    Phone: +33 1 44 27 41 54,  e-mail: garavini@in2p3.fr
    ICQ: 148161845, AIM: gabrigaravini