Tests on systematics on the EW of high-z spectra

From: Gabriele Garavini (garavini@in2p3.fr)
Date: Tue Dec 21 2004 - 06:45:27 PST

Dear All,

I apologize for the length of this mail but I hope this clarifies some of
the issues.

As Chris pointed out the studies on the possible systematic effects on the
EW measurement technique has been carried out in Gaston's paper and are
described in its section 3.3. I've also performed some test and I would
like to resume what came out:

First I would like you to remember that the definition of what Gaston
called EW measurement is probably somewhat different from the usual one:
the pseudo continuum is fitted taking into account two small regions
(defined in table 3 of his paper) on the maxima around the absorption
features. The possible systematic related to this definition are the
following

-The size and position of the region selected for the fit can be somewhat
 arbitrary (always within the limits defined in table 3) and could be a
 kind of 'systematic of the researcher' error. This was found (see
 section 3.3 of EW paper) to be
 the dominant source of error in the cases where S/N > 10 per
 resolution element. The VLT high-z spectra we selected for the evolution
 paper have typically S/N = 10 per 20A
 resolution. This source of uncertainties is then not a big concern for my
 case since it is sub-dominant. Moreover, I recall Gaston doing
 these tests on the high-z spectra and finding the error being
 sub-dominant with respect to the statistical one.

-The effect of resolution was also studied and found completely marginal
 already at high signal to noise ratios. Gaston tried to smooth the data
 and redo the measurements with the lowest resolution of 10A/pix. I did a
 test lowering the resolution even more, down to 20-25A/pix, and the
 systematic was at most 1%. This was just to check out if for some reason
 Gaston did the actual integration on the smoothed data. The result is
 that if he did it wouldn't matter.

-Signal to noise was also a concern. The possible systematic arising from
 a low signal to noise ratio is not significant, the statistical error
 is dominant.

All these tests can be found also in page 108 of Gaston's thesis, fig
5.10.

I personally was concern of whether the definition of the continuum
endpoints was in some way affected by smoothing. I recall Gaston not
smoothing the data for selecting the regions on the maxima, but I did not
want to trust only my memory so I tried on few spectra. I tested the
effect of fitting the continuum on the smoothed spectrum. The result is
that this has a small effect pushing EW toward low values (around 1% for
resolution down to 20A/pix). This is however sub-dominant with respect to
the statistical error.

Last point to address is why Eric found some systematic difference:

On his document he describes the methodology used to perform the
measurements. On the first page he says (point 2) that it does select the
endpoints (both lambda and flux) on the smoothed spectra and that he then
computes the EW using 'splot' and those exact points. This is not the
standard procedure Gaston identified. If I understand correctly what Eric
is doing he is looking at the smoothed spectrum with 'splot' and writing
down were he thinks is the maximum on each side of the absorption.
Gaston, I remind you, was selecting a small region around each maximum and
was fitting the continuum in between those regions. Selecting the maxima
by eye and using 'splot' for performing the measurements on a noisy
spectrum I think is not recommended and can be the source of big
systematics, bigger than fitting the continuum on the smoothed regions (as
the test I've done).

To sum up I think the origin of the difference is just that a different
measurement technique than that used for the low-z SN. The technique
introduced by Gaston in the EW paper was tested and found robust for
possible systematics involved in the measurements and I strongly recommend
everybody to follow it. If the S/N ratio is too low to identify the shape
of the maxima just drop the spectrum. Unfortunately the EW are a tricky
thing to measure and it should not be attempted to measure spectra with
S/N lower than 3 per 20A pixel. This was the limit we set while measuring
the VLT data.

I hope this clarifies a bit.
Speak to you later.
Thank you very much