Re: EW paper draft (v 7.1)

From: clidman@eso.org
Date: Sun Jan 11 2004 - 22:03:41 PST

    Hi Gaston,
      Thanks for the new version of the EW paper. I have read it and I attach some
    suggestions on how the paper could be improved. I also have some questions
    concerning parts of the paper that are not clear to me. I have not checked the
    grammar and I will not comment on the style at any great length. This can be
    corrected later.

    Cheers, Chris.

    General
    =======

    It may be clearer to use a single phrase to describe these quantities.
    In the title, you call them indices; in the abstract, you call them
    quantities, features, and indicators.

    In some cases you use the term "Branch normal SNe Ia and in other cases
    you use "normal SNe Ia". Please use the former term throughout the paper.

    Sometimes you use the term "fast decliner" or "91bg-like SNe" to describe
    91bg-like SNe. Use one term, ie, use 91bg-like SNe.

    Abstract
    ========

    The abstract is much better, but it could still be improved. Generally, it
    lacks precision. The abstract is the most important part of the paper so it
    is worth the effort in writing a good one.

    The first two sentences could be written as

    "We define and use a new set of eight empirical spectral quantities - similar
    to equivalent widths (EW) - to characterise the spectra of type Ia
    supernovae (SNe Ia). We analyse how these quantities evolve with
    phase and we search for correlations between these quantities and
    the peak B-band luminosity."

    In the next section, homogeneous is too strong here, I prefer the word
    similar. Note that, on average, 91bg- and 91T-like SNe have different EWs to
    Branch normal SNe. Their evolution with phase is similar. Hence, the next
    sentence, and the ones that follow it, could be written as ...

    "The evolution of the quantities we label as "Fe II 4800", "Mg II
    4300" and "Ca II IR" show a remarkably similar behaviour for
    all SNe Ia - including 91bg- and 91T-like SNe, while the behaviour
    of the Si II based quantities ("Si II 4000", "Si II 5800" and "Si II 6150")
    can be used to differentiate between Branch normal and 91bg-
    and 91T-like SNe"

    "appears ... calibrator" can be rewritten as "correlates strongly with
    peak B-band luminosity.

    The word promising implies that

    a) it correlates and

    b) it is useful.

    The former is clear, the latter less so.

    The last sentence leaves the reader hanging. A better sentence might be.

    "We discuss the applicability of these correlations in the analysis of SNe Ia
    up to z~1."

    Introduction
    ============

    The first paragraph is difficult to follow; there are two many ideas
    in it. As a general rule, each new idea or concept should have its own
    paragraph. The second sentence does not make sense.

    Data Description
    ================

    What does "mean Poisson errors" mean? Perhaps, it would be clearer to
    write, "the errors were estimated from the point-to-point dispersion."

    What does "integer number of days since maximum" mean? Were the real numbers
    rounded to the nearest integer.

    Feature Definitions
    ===================

    What does "The spectrum is normalised by the continuum" mean? This should be
    defined or removed, since the EW should be independent of any normalisation.

    Systematic Effects
    ==================

    I do not like the way the systematic error is computed. If I have
    understood the text correctly, you shift the region by 1/4 of the
    region size and you recompute the EW. Why 1/4. Why not 1/10th? This
    is arbitrary and I do not think it is a valid method in estimating the
    systematic error.

    Remove ", given by the point-to-point ratio ... wavelength range,"

    Table 5 and other tables like it
    ================================

    What is the error (1 sigma uncertainty) for columns 3,6 and 8. Is
    it related to delta? Saul asked this question, but I have not seen this
    issue addressed in your reply to him.

    Table 9.
    ========

    Perhaps the footnote "e" should label the Delta m15 values and not Delta
    M_B.

    EW^{max}_{(2+3)} (I've used Latex notation here) should be EW_{(2+3)} at
    B band maximum.

    Section 5.1.2
    =============

    "We here do not ..." should be "We do not..."

    In paragraph six, you state that we should expect to see a correlation between
    t_br and absolute magnitude. Why? They are measuring different quantities.
    The fact that they measure these quantities over a similar wavelength region
    is not sufficient for me.

    Section 4.1.3
    =============

    Paragraph 3.

    The distance uncertainties may be overestimated, but what evidence is there to
    suggest that the uncertainties are dominated by systematic effects.

    Where does the 0.3 magnitude systematic uncertainty come from? It cannot be
    because of the different distance estimates given by Saha and Freedman, as you
    have used the one distance measurement throughout the paper, i.e. the distance
    estimates of Freedman et al.

    I'd suggest that you delete the clause "especially ... 0.3 mag."

    Paragraph 7.

    This paragraph is not clear. I do not understand how you have computed
    the affect of contamination on alpha(2+3).

    "no further attempts". Was there an initial attempt to remove the
    contamination?

    I do not understand figure 13. If half the B band flux is host, then,
    according to figure 13, alpha changes by 30%. If alpha was initially 10, then
    alpha becomes 7. This is a change of 3, i.e 30%. According to equation 6,
    the estimate of the peak magnitude would then change by 0.103 * 3, which
    is 0.3 magnitudes and not 0.1 magnitudes as one would infer from the
    lower panel in figure 13.