EW paper draft (v 7.0)

From: Gaston Folatelli (gaston@physto.se)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 15:35:09 PST

    Dear collaborators,

    I have posted a new version (#7) of the paper on EW's. The changes applied
    were done following the comments that Peter sent about version 6.2 of the
    paper. All of the points he had were addressed. I'll briefly review them.

    P: (1) Redo the abstract.

     - Peter's comments were taken into account to more or less rewrite the
    whole abstract. Now I try to reproduce the most important results of the
    whole work.

    P: (3) English problems abound.

     - The faxed version of Peter's comments helped in correcting many English
    "problems" (let's call them that way).

    P: (4) Remove the Ni II Fisher et al comment. (On Section 4.5)

     - The phrase was changed to emphasize that the identification is
    marginal. It was not removed because I think it does not harm to mention
    it. It had been added there because of an early comment by Andy. I can
    take it away if there's a strong opposition.

    P: Things to do science-wise:
       (1) The Saha distance to SN 1991T is a problem...

     - Gibson & Stetson's measurement of the distance to the host of 91T is
    now used. This distance is compatible with Freedman's scales, which makes the
    point corresponding to this SN get closer to the rest in Figs. 10, 11 and
    12.

    P: (2) Table 7: Add the distance moduli in the table for each SN as well
    as the measurement for extinction with uncertainties...

     - Done.

    P: Also I completely dislike the use of M_B(max) and M_B(max)(dm15).

     - M_B(max)(dm15) was replaced by the residuals from a Phillips-like
    relation between M_B(max) and Dm_15. That relation is parabolic. The
    linear and quadratic terms were taken from Phillips et al. (1999). The
    intercept was fitted using the SNe of Table 7.

    P: (3) Do a simple test for the effect of host galaxy contamination on the
    measurement of alpha(2+3).

     - This is the part that took me longer to implement. The results of the
    tests are very encouraging. This work ended up in two
    parts of the paper. First, I tested the effect on single EW measurements.
    This was added as part of the 'systematic effects' section (3.3) and Table
    4. Second, I made the test on alpha(2+3), as suggested. The results are
    given at the end of Section 5.1.3 and Figure 13. The limited change on
    alpha(2+3) is expected from the fact that a slope does not change much if
    all points are moved systematically downward. I'd like to note that this
    kind of test is important for the analysis of high-z spectra, where
    contamination is harder to avoid.

    Additionally, from Peter's fax, I took the suggestion of modifying Figure
    1 in order to show some difference in the feature definitions among SN Ia
    subtypes.

    I hope you can enjoy this new version.

           -Gastón