Rob wins Chancellor's award at Vanderbilt

From: Tony Spadafora (ALSpadafora@lbl.gov)
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 11:19:39 PDT

    Dear SCP colleagues:

    It is with great pleasure that I can inform you that Rob Knop has been
    awarded the prestigious "Chancellor's Award for Research" at Vanderbilt
    University for his work on Knop 03. It is great to see that people
    outside the SCP acknowledge Rob's efforts on this first-rate work (as
    we all do within the collaboration.) SCP colleagues, whose work over
    the years contributed in various ways to this paper, can also take
    satisfaction in seeing this work from our collaboration being honored.
    Congratulations to Rob for a well-deserved award!

    -Tony Spadafora

    ps I think you'll enjoy Rachel's note describing yesterday's ceremony
    at VU:

         Yesterday at the annual Vanderbilt University Faculty Assembly,
    after an amendment changing the term dates for members
    of the Faculty Senate was approved, Professor Robert Knop was
    recognized with the
    "Chancellor's Award for Research" for his work which culminated in the
    Astrophysical Journal publication of Knop et al. 2003.

         We were able to keep from leaking this information to Rob, so he
    was pleasantly surprized when his name was announced. Chancellor Gee
    described the research and results to the assembly. He slowly read the
    title of the ApJ paper (known to us as Knop oh-three or the HST paper),
    "New Constraints on Omega Matter, Omega Lambda, and w from an
    Independent
    Set of Eleven High-Redshift Supernovae Observed with the Hubble Space
    Telescope". He then asked, "What happened to simplicity in physics?"

         In addition to looking a bit shocked upon mention of the large
    number
    of citations the paper has already garnered, Rob received an engraved
    silver goblet and loads of applause and congratulations. It was a
    nice ceremony, although people had different takes on the formality of
    the event. Bob Scherrer considered letting Rob know prior to the event,
    so he could dress up for the occasion, while Med Webster pointed out
    what
    good luck it was to be a day Rob chose to wear slacks instead of shorts.

        All agreed it is a great honor and Rob deserved every last jumbo
    shrimp he could get his hands on at the outdoor reception which
    followed.
    As David Ernst said of the award, "This is really neat!" It sure is.
    I only wish you could have been there to see the look on Rob's face.
    Congratulations Professor Knop!

    Rachel Gibbons