Action items from yesterday's discussion

From: Chris Lidman (clidman@eso.org)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 06:41:56 PST

    Dear All,
      Here are a list of action items that have been derived from the
    discussions we had on Isobel's and Andy's high redshift SN paper.

      I think that the discussion was useful and I thank everyone who
    contributed.

    Cheers, Chris.

    Hook et al. type Ia spectroscopic paper.

    Action Items
    ============

    1) Check that the classifications given in this paper are consistent
    with those given in Knop '03. If the classifications in Rob's paper
    are based on the classifications given in this paper, we should say so.

    [Isobel]

    2) A better description of the matching technique is required.
    Specifically we need to mention areas where the sampling of local
    templates is poor, and how robust the methods are (i.e. how often do
    say the 3 best matches all give the same SN type?). Also we need a
    better description of the human assessment part of typing
    (much of which is currently in section 6.1)

    [Andy]

    3) Record which local SNe are used for matching.

    [Andy]

    4) The notes on individual objects, such as 97F, 97G, 97J, should be
    written with a more positive perspective. I.e. first give the evidence
    for why we think these candidates are Ia. Put the caveats at the end.

    [Isobel]

    5) Fits are done on re-binned data, but the plots are smoothed. This
    point should be clarified.

    [Isobel]

    6) The deception of 97aj (pages 5-6) is a bit vague.

    [Isobel]

    7) Redo figures 18, 19 and 20 - perhaps these figures can be merged. Use
    linear scaling for all three plots.

    [Isobel/Peter]

    8) Redshifts (Table 2 and the figures) - use the host redshift
    whenever possible, otherwise use the redshift that comes from Andy's
    program.

    [Isobel / Andy]

    9) Figures on individual candidates: It needs to be made clear that the
    plots are F_lambda.

    [Isobel / Andy]

    10) Ca velocities: A paragraph describing how they are measured is
    required.

    [Isobel]

    11) A sentence noting how many candidates were observed
    during runs D and E and the reasons why 14 were selected
    for this paper.

    [Isobel]

    12) More positive abstract and conclusions. It should be
    pointed out that there is a good match between high and
    low redshift samples.

    [Isobel]

    13) Stretch - define it or refer to a paper.

    [Isobel]

    14) Remove the sentence concerning the H and K CaII features p. 7.

    [Isobel]

    15) Errors on the symbols in figure 16.

    - get errors on lightcurve dates from Rob [Isobel]
    - maybe use a representative spectral-date error for all objects [Andy]

    16) The issue of host galaxy contamination for 97ag.

    [Andy]

    17) Change little omega to w in the equation on p 3.

    [Isobel]

    18) LRIS on Keck I or Keck II

    [Isobel]

    19) Gabriele, Isobel and Andy to get together to discuss classification
    techniques.

    [Isobel/Andy/Gabriele]