updated version of the paper

From: Serena Nobili (serena@physto.se)
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 03:57:32 PST

    Dear collaborators,

    given the little delay for the phone conference, I had the time to fix
    some typos and implement a couple of suggestions (which I had
    unfortunately forgotten to implement earlier). I add a list of the main
    changes I made, for you not to have to read the paper again.
    Thank you all for your useful suggestions.
    Cheers

          Serena

    PS. The new version (Feb 12) is linked in the paper web page:

        http://www.physto.se/~snova/internal/papers/iband/

    List of main changes in the paper:

    1) Introduction. At the end of it I add a couple of sentences saying that
    we present new data in the paper (SN 2000fr).

    2) p.7 . A "by" became "from" in the following sentence, and other small
    changes to make it clearer:

    "In order to disentangle the intrinsic dispersion from the statistical
    scatter due to the measurement uncertainties, the average of the latter is
    subtracted (geometrically), resulting in $\sigma=0.14$ mag. We consider
    this an estimate of the intrinsic dispersion of the stretch corrected
    $I$-band lightcurve maximum. A weaker correlation was found between the
    peak magnitude and the stretch in $I$-band, $s_I$, with an r.m.s. of
    $\sim$~0.21~mag, about the best fit line."

    3) Caption of Table 4. Changed into:

      "Dispersion measured in the Hubble diagram for
      each of the sample, corrected for the width-luminosity relation;
      $<z>$ is the average redshift of the sample; $n$ is the number of
      data points; r.m.s. of residuals in the Hubble diagram about the
      best fit model, and $\sigma^{300}_z$ is the average uncertainty
      and r.m.s. around that value."

    4) Figure 8. The J-Keck filter has been removed from the plot (following
    Chris'suggestion), since almost identical to Js-ISAAC. A sentence has been
    added later in the section of 1999ff.

    5) Caption of Table 5. I added that the uncertainty on the ZP
    is contributing only for about 0.01 mag, as requested by Chris. However,
    this could become 0.02 or 0.05 mag, depending on what we decide about how
    to treat the IR calibration (see e-mail by Chris Lidman on Feb 11 in
    the archive)

    6) p.10. The paragraph describing the data reduction is slightly modified
    to add the other reduction technique used for reducing the data. I
    apologize for the earlier misleading description, especially with Chris,
    who has been working hard on it in the past 2 years. It now says:

    "The data was reduced using both internally developed routines and the
    XDIMSUM package in IRAF.The results were found in agreement within the
    quoted uncertainties."

    7) End of Section 4.1. Added discussion about the difference in
    K-corrections obtained using Nobili et al. templates and Rob's templates.
    The uncertainty identified, 0.05 mag, will be added in the analysis in the
    next iteration.

    8) Captions of Figures 9-10 11 had the old values of Imax. It is now fixed
    according to table 8 (which was corrected)

    9) Paragraph 4 of Section 5 has been slightly modified.

    10) p.14 Added the page (p.106) to the reference to Cowan (1998).

    11) The footnote in the caption of Table 11, has been slightly modified.

    12) Labels of Fig. 14 have been changed to E(B-I) vs E(B-V), and
    E(B_I)^corr vs E(B-V)^corr. Also the caption has been corrected for
    various wrongly placed "solid", "dashed" and "dotted" lines.

    13) Conclusions. A sentence has been added referring to the work on QSO by
    Morsell and Goobar. It says:

    "A similar technique, but using QSO colors was used by
    \citet{2003JCAP...09..009M}, to rule out gray dust being the sole
    explanation for the apparent faintness of SNe~Ia at $z \sim 0.5$."

    www.physto.se/~serena
    Tel +46 8 55378661

    Give free food at:
    http://www.porloschicos.com/