Bessel transmission functions

From: Alex Conley (aconley@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Fri Jan 02 2004 - 13:24:06 PST

    Hello all,

      I hope you had a pleasant holiday season.

      We've discovered that the filter transmission functions that we have
    used in the past for the Bessell filters are slightly incorrect.
    Basically, the passbands for UBVRI given in Bessell (1990), Table 2, are
    not what we thought they were, and hence our K-corrections have been
    slightly incorrect in some of our previous work (including Knop et al.
    2003 and possibly the 42 SNe paper). This is NOT a large effect, so
    nobody should get too worked up about it, but it's worth pointing out.

    The problem is that the numbers that Bessell gives in his table are
    actually not R (the dimensionless response, or transmission, or whatever
    you feel like calling it), but actually lambda * R (suitably
    renormalized).

    Note that this is absolutely not the energy vs. counts issue again. It
    takes a similar form mathematically, but there is no physics in this one,
    just a question of a paper that isn't as clear as it should have been.
    If you actually read Bessell (1990) you will find no explanation of what
    he means by passband, and so it is very natural to (incorrectly) assume
    that the numbers in Table 2 are just the dimensionless response. In
    subsequent papers is he much more clear about this issue, and always
    tabulates lambda*R.

    This discovery arose when Lifan pointed out a footnote in Jha's thesis
    that points this out, and references some papers by Suntzeff that have
    also discussed this issue. I ended up contacting Nick Suntzeff about
    this, and after a few email exchanges I contacted Mike Bessell directly.
    He confirms that the numbers in Table 2 of Bessel 1990 are actually
    lambda*R, and not R. Therefore, the real filter is slightly bluer than we
    have been using. Fortunately, as I said before, the size of the effect is
    not large, generally less than 0.02 magnitudes. If you would like to see
    the size of the effect, take a look at

    panisse.lbl.gov/~aconley/kdiff.eps

    This is the old K correction minus the new K correction (the new one using
    the right form for the Bessell passbands) for a variety of redshifts.
    The blue lines are rest frame B band, the red lines rest frame V band. The
    sign of the effect is such that SNe are actually slightly dimmer and
    redder at higher redshifts than we believed (recall that K-corrections are
    subtracted from observed magnitudes). At z=0.5, a SNe is about 0.015 mag
    dimmer and 0.012 mag redder with the correct filter. With extinction
    correction, these counteract each other to some extent. This makes the
    Omega_Lambda case a little bit weaker (with extinction correction), but by
    an amount much smaller than we care about -- so far.

    So -- how do you figure out if this affects you? Well, take a look at
    whatever dimensionless filter passband you have been using. If, for the
    I band it looks something like

    lambda R
    700 0.0
    710 0.024
    720 0.232
    730 0.555
    740 0.785
    750 0.910
    760 0.965
    770 0.985
    780 0.990
    790 0.995
    800 1.000

    etc.

    you are probably affected. If this is so, you have to decide if the size
    of the problem is big enough for you to redo whatever you have been using
    them for.

    Note that this lambda*R thing does not affect all passband information.
    For example, as far as I can tell (I would appreciate somebody
    cross-checking this) the HST filters that synphot provides are simply R,
    and not lambda*R. I think that the Sloan filters as specified by Fukugita
    et al. are also R. Some other papers (the Y band of Hillenbrand, the Js,
    H, Ks of Persson) don't define their terms clearly enough that I can be
    sure either way.

    This issue has given me a new appreciation of why the HST folks decided to
    define their own passband formalism instead of trying to work with the
    very messy and creakily defined standard filter stuff.

    Incidentally, the full reference to Bessel 1990:

    Bessel, M.S. 1990 Pub. A.S.P. 102, 1191.

    Alex