Re: SNe spectra with Subaru/FOCAS

From: Chris Lidman (clidman@eso.org)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 19:21:58 PDT

    Dear Mamoru,
      Thank you for the spectra. I have had a
    preliminary look at the spectrum of SuF02-012,
    which was observed with several telescopes and
    might be a type Ia at z=1.3.

       The FOCAS spectrum has a better S/N ratio than the
    FORS2 spectrum and the extraction also looks better, especially
    around bright night sky lines. Although, the overall flux
    of the two spectra agree, the broad bumps in the FORS2 spectra
    are not seen in the FOCAS spectrum

      Andy ran his spectral matching program on the FORS2 spectrum and
    the comparison spectrum of a possible match is attached as a
    PostScript file. Although a type Ia at z=1.3 is a possible match neither
    Andy nor I are confident enough to classify this as either a Ia or
    Ia?.

      I will review these spectra while I am in Sweden during the first
    week of September. Perhaps we can try combining error weighted
    FORS2 and FOCAS spectra to see if we can drag out [OII].

    Cheers, Chris.