Collaborators: urgent request to please help with the next big step on the HST paper

From: Saul Perlmutter (saul@lbl.gov)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 23:41:17 PDT

    Hi Everybody, Here's an urgent request to the SCP collaboration:

    There is a new draft of the HST paper that has just been posted at
      http://brahms.phy.vanderbilt.edu/~rknop/scp/hst/#drafts

      This draft incorporates the changes that the collaboration requested
    for the previous versions, and is intended to be a publishable
    version. The SCP executive committee would like everybody's help to
    accelerate the final steps to get this paper ready for submission.
    Since we are now so close to finishing, we would like to push to submit
    it before the competing team's next paper is on astro-ph (or at least
    not long thereafter), since otherwise a referee might ask us to rewrite
    it to include results from another new paper, greatly adding to the
    effort to finish this one. So, if it is at all possible for you,
    please try to "drop everything" and respond to the following requests
    for help over the next few days. PLEASE, read the following carefully,
    since there are few key deadlines and requests for you in it:

    1. First and foremost, please read the draft and send comments in time
    for Rob to incorporate them over the coming weekend. In other words,
    try to get them in by the end of Friday (May 2). If this is
    impossible,
    please let the SCP exec committee and Rob know quickly, so we can
    figure out with you what to do.

    2. Please try to make clear which of your comments are: (1) extremely
    important to try to fix before submission, (2) things which should be
    fixed if they can but not absolutely necessary if it will slow up the
    paper, or (3) something which should be checked, and perhaps fixed,
    during the refereeing.

    3. Send all comments to Rob *and* to "hstpaper@panisse.lbl.gov" so that

    we can all look at what people are commenting on.

    4. Rob will try if he can to post a "submittable" version that
    incorporates the comments by Monday or, at the latest, Tuesday (May 6).
    Please watch for it, and immediately look at it to make sure that you
    don't
    see last cosmetic problems that need to be fixed -- or if something was
    missed that was crucial in the previous comments (available for all to
    see on the collab web page).

    5. The SCP exec committee will meet on Wednesday morning (May 7),
    California time (Wednesday evening, Europe time) to "sign off" on
    submitting the paper, so please email the SCP exec, Rob, *and* the
    "hstpaper@panisse.lbl.gov" addresses if you see any final problems.
    Also, if this will be impossible for you to do, please let the SCP exec
    committee know quickly, so we can figure out with you what to do.

    Thanks, everybody! This looks like it will be a really nice paper.