[Fwd: NICMOS STAN - April 2003]

From: Saul Perlmutter (saul@lbl.gov)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 19:00:09 PDT

    attached mail follows:

    | NICMOS
    | STScI Analysis Newsletter
    | NICMOS STAN 29
    | April 2003
    Visit the NICMOS web site http://www.stsci.edu/instruments/nicmos
    "New in the Last 45 Days" for all new information about NICMOS.

    CONTENTS:

    - Cycle 12 TAC Results

    - Cycle 12 Phase II Proposals

    - Temperature Update

    - Calibration Reference Files

    - High S/N Differential Spectrophotometry

    - Flat Field Monitoring

    - Focus Update

    - Thermal Background, NICMOS + NCS

    - Instrument Science Reports Since The Previous STAN:
       NICMOS ISR 2002-004: SM3b Science Flats
       NICMOS ISR 2003-001: High Signal-to-Noise, Differential
            NICMOS Spectrophotometry
       NICMOS ISR 2003-002: NICMOS Memory/Hardware Anomalies
       NICMOS ISR 2003-003: NICMOS Monitoring Stability
       NICMOS ISR 2003-004: Measuring the Cold Mask Offset
       NICMOS ISR 2003-005: NICMOS Focus Monitoring in the
            Year Following SMOV 3b

    http://www.stsci.edu/hst/proposing
    Cycle 12 Results

    The HST Cycle 12 peer review panels and TAC met on
    March 24-29, 2003. A list of the approved programs can be
    found on the STScI proposing web page. A total of 1,046
    proposals were submitted requesting 19,674 orbits. There
    are only ~3,000 orbits available in any Cycle for GO
    science.

    Approximately 20% of the available orbits were awarded to
    NICMOS programs, doubling the fraction of telescope time
    using NICMOS relative to Cycle 11. A full review of the
    peer review process will be presented in a forthcoming
    STScI NewsLetter.

    http://www.stsci.edu/hst/programs
    Cycle 12 Phase II Proposals

    The Cycle 12 Phase II deadline is May 16, 2003. Documents
    to help observers in the preparation of their Phase II
    proposals are available on the STScI programs web page. A
    summary of the most important documents for NICMOS programs
    can be found at
     http://www.stsci.edu/hst/nicmos/proposing/phase2

    Starting with Cycle 12, all observers will be required to
    use the Astronomer's Proposal Tool (APT) software to
    complete the Phase II process. The older Remote Proposal
    Submission-2 (RPS2) software tools will no longer be
    supported. The APT is a suite of tools, including the
    Form Editor (FE), Orbit Planner (OP), the Visit Planner
    (VP), the Visual Target Tuner (VTT), and the Formatted
    Preview (FP).

    http://www.stsci.edu/hst/nicmos/design/ncs
    Temperature Update

    Al Schultz

    During the past winter, the temperature of the NICMOS
    detectors increased slowly due to small changes in the
    NICMOS dewar's parasitics because of the approach of the HST
    warm season. The Earth is closer to the Sun in January than
    in any other month of the year. The total change in
    temperature was on the order of, or slightly less than,
    0.1 K. The temperature of the NIC1 mounting cup sensor
    increased from ~77.1 K to ~77.2 K, while the Neon control
    temperature remained at 72.4 K. A decrease of 0.05 K in the
    NICMOS Cooling System (NCS) control-law set-point was
    implemented on December 19, 2002 to maintain the detectors
    baseline operating temperature of 77.1 K. A corresponding
    increase in the control-law set-point is planned to be
    implemented during the HST cool season, as needed to
    compensate for any variation of the detectors' temperature
    relative to the baseline of 77.1 K.

    http://www.stsci.edu/hst/nicmos/calibration/reffiles
    Calibration Reference Files

    Al Schultz, Megan Sosey, and Eddie Bergeron

    NICMOS Cycle 11 calibration reference files have been
    created and delivered to the HST Archive. The only
    exception are the linearity reference files and the
    photometric tables. These files are used by the OPUS
    pipeline and by OTFR (on-the-fly-reprocessing) whenever a
    data set is retrieved from the HST Archive. The spectacular
    stability of the NICMOS detectors as reported in NICMOS ISR
    2003-003 indicates that the Cycle 11 flat fields are more
    than adequate to provide an excellent calibration of
    of NICMOS data.

    A temperature-dependent synthetic dark generator is
    implemented in the OPUS pipeline, OTFR, and calnica.
    Detector characteristics were modeled from darks obtained
    as part of the NICMOS early calibration program following
    SM3B.

    The detector pixel saturation levels component of the
    linearity files for all three cameras have been updated to
    reflect the change in pixel sensitivity due to operating
    at the higher 77.1 K temperature.

    http://www.stsci.edu/hst/nicmos/documents/isrs
    High S/N Differential Spectrophotometry

    Ron Gilliland and Santiago Arribas

    Analysis of G141 grism MULTIACCUM observations of the bright
    star HD 209458 (G0V, H=6.13) indicate that well planned
    NICMOS observations can provide differential
    spectrophotometric stability better than 1 part in 10,000 if
    not even significantly better. Grism observations were
    obtained in three back-to-back orbits. Orbit-to-orbit means
    in a 0.2 micron band taken in ratio to neighboring continuum,
    without applying any corrections for correlated variations
    in contemporaneous auxiliary parameters, differed by only
    3x10^-4. With removal of such correlated noise near Poisson
    limited results seem possible. See NICMOS ISR 2003-001.

    http://www.stsci.edu/hst/nicmos/documents/isrs
    Flat Field Monitoring

    Al Schultz

    A review of NICMOS monthly flat field monitoring data show
    that the lamp-on filter count rates (cts/sec) have remained
    constant following SM3B/SMOV indicating that detector
    sensitivity and the lamps fluxes have remained constant.
    Additionally, pixel saturation levels have essentially
    remained unchanged since SMOV. The number of grot affected
    pixels has not changed since SMOV indicating stability
    within the dewar. Dithering is recommended to remove the
    effects of grot. A check of the NIC2 coronagraphic hole
    image location shows hole motion similar to what was
    observed during Cycle 7 and 7N. Coronagraphic observers
    should tailor their observations to minimize the effects
    of hole motion. Incremental monthly and super flat field
    reference files have been created and delivered to the HST
    Archive for user support. See NICMOS ISR 2003-003.

    http://www.stsci.edu/hst/nicmos/documents/isrs
    Focus Update

    E. Roye

    Monthly monitoring of the NICMOS focus since SMOV 3b has
    revealed stable and consistent focus measurements in all
    three cameras. The focus values for all three cameras have
    tracked consistently the current set points which were
    uplinked to the telescope during SMOV 3b. No adjustments
    have been required. The current monthly focus program has
    been changed to bi-monthly for NIC1 and NIC2, and to every
    four months for NIC3. As a reminder to the reader, the
    NIC3 focus is beyond the adjustable range of the Pupil
    Alignment Mechanism (PAM), and has been set to the default
    PAM value of -9.5 mm. We have found that the current NIC3
    focus is better than it was during Cycle 7. See NICMOS
    ISR 2003-005.

    http://www.stsci.edu/hst/nicmos/documents/isrs
    Thermal Background, NICMOS + NCS:

    Megan Sosey

    With the addition of ACS and the NICMOS Cooling System (NCS),
    the aft shroud of the telescope is seeing an increased
    thermal load, which warms the NICMOS fore-optics. The
    increase in temperature affects the long wavelength filters
    in cameras 2 and 3, by increasing the background by ~20%.
    This change should be kept in mind by users of these
    cameras in filters longward of 2.0 microns, or in
    especially broad filters such as F175W in camera 3. Since
    camera 1 has no filter with wavelengths longer than 1.9
    microns, thermal emission effects in this camera are not
    an issue and have not been studied. An ISR detailing this
    work has been written and will soon be available to the
    public. Also see NICMOS ISR 2003-004.

    | NICMOS Publications |
    Papers published since the last STAN that report results
    from new or archival NICMOS observations.

    Yost, S.A. et al. 2002, "The Broadband Afterglow of GRB
      980329 ," ApJ, 577, 155-163.

    Sil'chenko, O.K. et al. 2002, "Young Stellar Nuclei in
      Lenticular Galaxies: NGC 5574 and NGC 74571," ApJ, 577,
      668-679.

    Im, M. et al. 2002,"A Hyper Extremely Red Object in the
      Field near 53W002," ApJ, 578, L19-L22.

    Noriega-Crespo, A. et al. 2002, "HST NICMOS Images of the
      HH 7/11 Outflow in NGC 13331," ApJ, 580, 959-968.

    Hicks, E.K.S. et al. 2002, "Star Formation in Emission-Line
      Galaxies between Redshifts of 0.8 and 1.6," ApJ, 581,
      205-222.

    Figer, D.F. et al. 2002, ApJ, "Massive Stars in the Arches
      Cluster," ApJ, 581, :258-275.

    King, N.L. et al. 2002, "A Hubble Space Telescope
      Polarization Study of Dust in the Carinae Homunculus,"
      ApJ, 581, 285-306.

    Kastner, J.H. et al. 2002, "On the Asymmetries of Extended
      X-Ray Emission from Planetary Nebulae," ApJ, 581, 1225-1235.

    Thompson, R.I. 2002, "Matching the Observed Star Formation
      Intensity Distribution with Empirical Laws," ApJ, 581,
      L85-L88.

    Lucas, R. et al. 2003, "THE HUBBLE DEEP FIELD SOUTH FLANKING
      FIELDS," AJ, 125, 398-417.

    Egami, E. et al. 2003, "NEAR-INFRARED OBSERVATIONS OF
      POWERFUL HIGH-REDSHIFT RADIO GALAXIES: 4C 40.36 AND
      4C 39.37," AJ, 125, 1038-1052.

    Alonso-Herrero, A. et al. 2003, "THE [Fe II] 1.644 MICRON
      EMISSION IN M82 AND NGC 253: IS IT A MEASURE OF THE
      SUPERNOVA RATE?," AJ, 125, 1210-1225.

    Schneider, G. et al. 2003, "NICMOS CORONAGRAPHIC
      OBSERVATIONS OF THE GM AURIGAE CIRCUMSTELLAR DISK," AJ,
      125, 1467-1479.

    Balcells, M. et al. 2003, "Galactic Bulges from Hubble Space
      Telescope Near-Infrared Camera Multi-Object Spectrometer
      Observations: The Lack of r1/4 Bulges," ApJ, 582, L79-L82.

    Smail, I. et al. 2003, "A SCUBA Galaxy in the Protocluster
      around 53W002 at z = 2.4," ApJ, 583, 551-558.

    Jensen, J.B. et al. 2003, "Measuring Distances and Probing
      the Unresolved Stellar Populations of Galaxies Using
      Infrared Surface Brightness Fluctuations," ApJ, 583,
      712-726.

    Surpi, G. and Blandford, R.D. 2003, "The Gravitational Lens
      B1608+656. I. V-, I-, and H-Band Hubble Space Telescope
      Imaging," ApJ, 584, 100-109.

    Sugai, H., Davies, R.I., and Ward, M.J. 2003, "The Collimated
      Wind in NGC 253," ApJ, 584, L9-L12.

    van Dokkum, P.G. and Stanford, S.A. 2003, "The Fundamental
      Plane at z = 1.27: First Calibration of the Mass Scale
      of Red Galaxies at Redshifts z > 1," ApJ, 585, 78-89.

    Zirm, A.W., Dickinson, M., and Dey, A. 2003, "Massive
      Elliptical Galaxies at High Redshift: NICMOS1 Imaging
      of z~1 Radio Galaxies," ApJ, 585, 90-111.

    Meakin, C.A. et al. 2003, "HST/NICMOS Near-Infrared Imaging
      of the Proto-Planetary Nebula OH 231.8+4.2," ApJ, 585,
      482-493.

    Dickinson, M. et al. 2003, "The Evolution of the Global
      Stellar Mass Density at 0 < z < 3,' ApJ, 587, 25-40.

    Rusin, D. et al. 2003, "The Evolution of a Mass-selected
      Sample of Early-Type Field Galaxies," ApJ, 587, 143-159.

    Momjian, E. et al. 2003, "Very Long Baseline Array Continuum
      and H I Absorption Observations of the Ultraluminous
      Infrared Galaxy IRAS 17208-0014," ApJ, 587, 160-170.

    Vijh, U.P. and Witt, A.N 2003, "The Dust in Lyman Break
     Galaxies," ApJ, 587, 533-543.

    Freudling, W., Corbin, M.R., and Korista, K.T. 2003, "Iron
      Emission in z~6 QSOs," ApJ, 587, L67-L70.