Re: plotting om/ol confidence regions & overlaying

From: Peter Nugent (nugent@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 08:59:43 PDT

    > What do other people think on this matter? So far I've only really
    > heard from Saul on the matter. Am I completely out on a limb here, and
    > in fact are those overlayed plots too confusing? Or does anybody else
    > agree that when we're trying to invite a comparison between two things,
    > overlaying is what makes the most sense?

    IMHO...

    I have no problem reading the graphs so long as the figure captions are
    very readable. In this I think it would be much better to describe the
    figures in a format similar to this:

    First sentence - description of the plot (long title)
    Second sentence - {\it Bold contours:} The confidence regions for...
    Third sentence - {\it Dashed contours:} The confidence regions for...
    Fourth on - The rest of the story.

    When you have to plot two on top of each other then repeat the format each
    time. Then it is real easy for people to interpret them as their eyes just
    go to the italicized (or perhaps enbolden them) words to see what is what.

    I think this solves most of the problems because then it is easy to see
    what is going on. I agree with you that unless several of the plots are
    right on top of each other we lose the ability to compare them. Putting
    them side by side in a panel of 5x5 tiles just makes it a mess.

    BTW, upon further review, I agree that we need to have ONE plot that we
    sell as THE main confidence regions of the analysis. For me there is only
    one, which is the one which represents the best job we can do in om-ol
    with the extinction corrections. This is a major point of the paper, we
    got great HST colors, and now we can correct for extinction. Anything else
    is less than a full analysis and involves assumptions that are subject to
    bias.

    Cheers,

    Peter

     --
    Peter E. Nugent
    Staff Computational Scientist - Scientific Computing Group - NERSC