a note on differences vs. redshift

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 15:47:04 PST

    WARNING -- use a monospace font to read this E-mail. (You should always
    read your E-mail that way anyway.)

    Just due to the U-band differences, you'd expect to see different m_b
    values due to different K-corrections at redshifts of ca. 0.3-0.4 in
    addition to at redshifts of >0.5.

    Reason: suppose that the "intial" template spectrum, with whatever "too
    red" U-B color, is this, where the general ranges of the different
    filters have been indicated:

                 U B V R

    Now, in order to increase the U-B color, what I've done is *smoothly*
    deform the spectrum (reather than just stepping the U-band) so that the
    integrated U-B colors have the new desired value (U-B = -0.4 at day 0).
    Naively, you might expect this (exaggerated) to look like:

           _
            ___
               ____
                   _____
                        _______________________________________
                 U B V R

    However, that is *wrong* -- the reason being that because U and B
    overlap, in so deforming the spectrum to get a higher U, you've also
    changed the B-V color. However, we want the B-V color to stay the same
    even when we put in a new U-B color. Thus, in practice the deformed
    spectrum (exaggerated) looks something like:

           _
            ___
               ____
                   _____
                        _____ __________________________
                             ___ ___
                                __
                 U B V R

    The total integral in B is the same, but because the left side was
    enhanced, the right side needs to be supressed. In net, the integrated
    B-V color stays the same.

    A side effect of this is that for relativly low redshift supernovae,
    where the R-band is systematically sampling the right side of the B-band
    filter, you're *also* going to get an offset compared to previous
    results (or compared to results with a different U-B color). It is
    impossible to do a *smooth* deformation of the spectrm to change the U-B
    color without this side effect.

    (Note also, as I've said before, that I think our V-R and R-I color
    measurements improved with this iteration on the K-corrections, which
    also has implications for the low end of the high-redshift set.)