Re: "Error floor"

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 12:09:34 PST

    On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 11:15:15AM -0800, Lifan Wang wrote:
    > Would not this error floor introduce unreasonably large errors at the
    > late time light curves ? At day 40, the supernova is about 3 magnitude
    > fainter, i.e. the flux is about 0.063 times that of the peak. The error
    > floor then implies late time errors are around above 0.1 mag and increases
    > at later epoch. I don't think this is the correct way of treating the
    > data, as the measurement can definitely be better than the error floor.

    I disagree.

    Unless you integrate a WHOLE Lot longer, the late time data *is* going
    to have larger *magnitude* error bars than the early time data!
    Measurements are really flux, and comparable *flux* error bars is what
    I'd expect... unless you really do integrate an awful lot longer for the
    late time points.