Re: Riess' prior

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 13:04:48 PST

    On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 01:00:46PM -0800, Don Groom wrote:
    > There is a big difference between a physical quantity and the value we
    > measure, and they have to be kept separate. There is a "true" E*(B-V), and
    > our measured value E(V-B). One can say that E*(B-V)<0, but it is incorrect
    > to say that E(B-V) < 0.

    I think you got that backwards.

    The *true* one can't be negative. The measured one can, because
    measurements have statistical errors (at least).

    > But kicking out negative results is dangerous nonsense.

    I agree with that, and certainly don't plan to do it in my paper.

    The only reason to do this foolish exercise at all is to make sure that
    I can approximate the Riess contours, so that when I produce a real
    analysis of their data which looks much worse, I have some confidence
    that I did it right.