vnc for tomorrows meeting

From: Alex Conley (aconley@panisse.lbl.gov)
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 15:20:32 PST

    Saul and Tony would like us to have a way of all viewing the same screen
    tomorrow during the teleconference. Therefore I am going to make my
    laptop available as a VNC server tomorrow morning. You will all (assuming
    you have a VNC client) be able to log onto it and see my screen, and be
    able to control my cursor. Then we can open documents and look at plots
    together. VNC viewers are available freely for all operating systems I
    know of.

    The name of my computer tomorrow will probably be whopr.dhcp.lbl.gov
    (5 geek points if you get the whopr reference). If it changes for
    some reason, we'll be in a teleconference so I will be able to tell you
    where to go. I will run in display 0 (so, for example if you are using
    a linux box, the command to connect is most likely
    vncviewer whopr.dhcp.lbl.gov:0 ).

    My laptop is running Os X, so if you aren't familiar with recent Macs
    you may find it a little confusing, but it shouldn't be too difficult
    to adjust.

    In theory you should be able to log into your home machine from my
    machine to show plots (I will be running X11), but in practice this
    may be painfully slow. So if people could make as many of their
    plots available ahead of time, I'll try to have them all already on my
    laptop, and then you can display them and page through them when you
    are the one speaking.

    Note that if everybody in the collaboration tries to connect with
    their own laptop, we will probably not have enough bandwidth to function,
    so you should probably try to share one at each site (although there
    would be nothing wrong with using a projector). Also, if there are
    10 people all trying to control my mouse at the same time it won't
    work very well, so please try to say something before you try to wrest
    control away from everybody else.

    We'll see how well this works in practice, but it has got to be better
    than trying to view graphs through those videoconference cameras.

    Alex