Re: Subaru Observation Schedule

From: Saul Perlmutter (saul@lbl.gov)
Date: Sat Dec 07 2002 - 10:18:30 PST

    Hello Naoki,
        There are two questions that might help decide what we might ask VLT/FORS2 to
    observe during the next few nights:
    1) Have we reached sufficient signal-to-noise for the -071 and -017?

    2) Have we ever obtained any observations with Suprime-Cam in a second filter band
    (to get color measurement to determine extinction) for the lower redshift supernovae
    that we are still following in field 1 and 5? This could have happened during any of
    the observation periods from the search period onward. These observations may not be
    very "expensive" for FORS2 to get in terms of exposure time, since they would be for
    lower redshift supernovae, but they would make a big difference in terms of being able
    to use thse supernove on a hubble diagram.

        It's probably hard to do, but if you can answer the second question before
    tonight's FORS2 time, we might start asking for some second-color observations as soon
    as possible.

        Good luck with tonight's Subaru observing! --Saul