-081 i' lightcurve fit & host: comment on -017

From: Greg Aldering (aldering@zacharys.lbl.gov)
Date: Sat Nov 30 2002 - 19:37:02 PST

    Hi all,

    Using Naoki's Suprime-Cam photometry from last night, I have performed
    a rough lightcurve fit to SuF02-081. For the redshift of z = 1.478,
    established by the probable identification of OII by Chris from the VLT
    spectrum, the stretch required of our Leibengut-based U-band template
    is s = 0.66. As Lifan has noted, in the restframe UV the lightcurve can
    fall quite quickly even relative to restframe U, so the low stretch
    might be fine. Indeed, the observation of Nov 30 is 8 days after
    B-band max according to my fit, and in that time the SN faded by ~ 1.2
    magnitudes. This is almost exactly what Lifan calculated using Peter's
    template.

    The lightcurve fit gives i'_max ~ 25.15, so we still have the issue of
    this SN being brighter than we expect. Has anyone tried to quantify
    whether there is an excess of plausible foreground galaxies near the
    SN, which might lead to a gravitational lensing explanation?

    Regarding the host, it is apparent from the Suprime-Cam image and the
    OII emission from the VLT spectrum that the host is morphologically
    disturbed. The rest-frame equivalent with of -17A places this host in
    Dressler's "e(c)" or "e(a)" class. Among e(c) galaxies, Dressler finds
    that only 25% are E/S0 systems. Among e(a) galaxies the fraction that
    are E/S0 is much much smaller. Putting all of this together, despite
    the possible spectroscopic redness of the host, it is very unlikely to
    be an E/S0. Thus, we are not guaranteed that -081 is a Ia, and it is
    improbable the host is dust-free.

    It is of course possible for the SN to suffer little dust extinction
    due to location and selection effects, as seen for the color subset of
    the 42 SNe. The fact that it is apparently overluminous also suggests
    little dust. Similarly, the VLT spectrum and the good lightcurve fit
    are suggestive of a Ia. So, we might have a relatively
    unobscured/lensed Type Ia, but will have a hard time proving it with
    the data in hand.

    One last item for Chris - beware that -017 will be falling much faster
    in the restframe UV (covered by i'), than in restframe V (covered by
    J). So, the apparent i' faintness of -017 doesn't necessarily preclude its
    observation in the NIR at VLT.

    Cheers,

    Greg