FORS2 spectra

From: clidman@eso.org
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 06:59:09 PST

    Dear All,
      I have spent a couple of days trying different reduction techniques with
    the FORS2 spectroscopic data. The main difference between what we have tried
    before and what I am doing now is that I using the all the data within a single night
    to produce a night sky spectrum which is then subtracted from the science data. It results in
    spectra with very good sky subtraction. I have also been producing an error spectrum, which should
    be used if one wants to smooth the spectrum.

      I have re-reduced the following SNe. The other SNe will have to wait until I get back
    from Paranal.

    SuF02-081 - Strong line at 9234 Angstroms. If it is [OII], then z=1.478. There are some low S/N
    wiggles in the continuum. This one is worth a more detailed look.

    SuF02-002 - [OII] and [OIII] at z=0.822.

    SuF02-065 - Probable SN, [OII] at z=1.181

    SuF02-012 - Featureless. Flux calibration is OK.

    I have looked for signs of an elliptical in the spectra of both 081 and 012 by looking for FeII 2600, MgII 2800 and MgI 2852,
    but I cannot identify these lines. However, these lines would be hard to see in these low S/N spectra.

    All the new spectra are available at http://www.sc.eso.org/~clidman/.

    Cheers, Chris.