Re: problem with lightcurves?

From: Robert A. Knop Jr. (robert.a.knop@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 04:37:06 PST

    On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 06:19:57AM -0600, Robert A. Knop Jr. wrote:
    > On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 12:14:29AM -0800, Michael Wood-Vasey wrote:
    > > Dear Tony, Saul, and Peter,
    > >
    > > I think things are fine w.r.t the lightcurves. Binning by day mislead
    > > us into thinking we could tell more from the lightcurves than we
    > > really can.

    Another point-- what I would do is look at the individual points on
    screen before writing out the lightcurve with combined days. If there
    was a clear outlyer, I'd throw it out before potting the "combined day"
    points, and then trust the people looking at it to remember what error
    bars mean (as mentioned in my previous message). (To decide if the
    point *really* should be thrown out takes more work. The Ivan/Rob
    lightcurve software has some diagnostics, but you can also look at the
    image to see if there is a CR or a hole. For quick looks, just throwing
    out clear outlyers should be good enough.)