Re: observations tonight

From: Mamoru Doi (doi@ioa.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp)
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 03:04:17 PST

    Hi Saul,

    We have observed 35-min exposures of SXDS1-5
    with Suprime-Cam. The sky was often hazy/cloudy
    1-2 hours after we started. The seeing is mostly
    good, < 0.6arcsec. We took SXDS2 and SXDS5 under
    reasonably good transparency. Some of the images
    of SXDS1 were taken in bad(hazy/cloudy) conditions,
    and we added 10min extra (total 45min) exposures
    of SXDS1 under reasonably good conditions. We
    won't have no more exposures in i'-band tonight.
    The exposures should be mostly O.K. to get light
    curves (at near maximum) of SNe which are not very
    faint. Naoki is checking the depth.

    >Our first (easy, bright) target of the night was 019, which had a
    >photo-z of 0.7, but we got a host galaxy redshift of z = 0.505 [from
    >lots and lots of lines: OII (5606 and 5610), OIII (7533), Halpha (7315),
    >OIII (7461)].

    O.K. There were two candidates of the host of 019, and
    after I told you the first results of photo-z, more careful
    identifications were made, and the photo-z of the nearest
    object of 019 became 0.50 and 0.49, well matched to the answer.
    I didn't update the information, sorry.

    In any case, we down-graded the priority for spectroscopy
    of 019, and we confirmed it now.

    -Mamoru

    Mamoru Doi
    Institute of Astronomy