Gemini strategy

From: Isobel Hook (imh@astro.ox.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Nov 08 2002 - 14:27:47 PST

    Hi all,

    I've just done a quick calculation about the remaining Gemini time. Here
    are the available dark hours left for the last 3 nights of this GMOS run
    (counting time while our targets are above arimass 2)

    8th 6.5hrs
    9th 5.0
    10th 4.0
        -----
    total 15.5 hrs.

    The program above ours in the queue still needs 4.8 hrs in IQ<0.8" and the
    target is at a very similar position to ours, so we are directly
    competing. Taking out that time leaves 10.7 hours in which to get our 10.3
    hours. So it appears we will have to accept any weather conditions in
    order to use our time. (I'm assuming we didn't get charged for that data
    we took the other night in v. poor seeing, but even if we did, it doesn't
    change things much).

    I think this also means that if the conditions tonight are not quite good
    enough for the other program then we should use the time (provided it
    isn't really awful) since it has now become a weather lottery anyway. What
    do you think?

    Isobel.