Report from Keck night #2

From: Saul Perlmutter (saul@lbl.gov)
Date: Fri Nov 08 2002 - 07:26:39 PST

    The seeing tonight was not great. (It did get a little better towards
    the _end_ of the period that our candidates were up, of course.)
    Nonetheless, we managed to observe 3 candidates, with the following
    results:

    -071 is at z = 0.928 (galaxy lines, with a SN Ia match possible)
    -000 is at z =0.92 (from the galaxy lines -- no SN match yet)
    -017 is at z = 1.00 +/- 0.02 based on a pretty nice looking smoothed
    spectrum (SN Ia, we think)

    Also, Lifan did a little more work on -012 and it makes a pretty good SN
    Ia fit to either z=1.3 or 1.5 (we haven't found galaxy lines yet).

    In the following emails, I will send the summary table of where we stand
    now with our higher priority candidates, and a few overview plots
    showing how they fall in discovery mag and redshift space.