Gemini tonight

From: Isobel Hook (imh@astro.ox.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 04:33:53 PST

    Hi,

    A frustrating night at Gemini. After telescope problems that made it look
    like we wouldn't get anything, they got on the sky but the seeing was
    fluctuating a lot. They decided not to do the highest priority program and
    we had the option of observing in marginal conditions, which we decided to
    take in the hope of at least getting something. The seeing was around 0.9
    when we started. However at the end of the first half hour on SuF02-017
    the seeing was 1.4" and we couldn't see a trace in the spectrum, so we've
    decided to stop and hold out for better conditions another night (the
    objects are setting so it would probably have got even worse tonight).

    Tomorrow is likely to be NIRI engineering all night. The remaining nights
    of this run are 8,9 and 10th. The high-priority program still has to be
    completed, and we are next in line, but it's getting tight for us to get
    our 10.3 hours in now, especially since the moon will be up later in the
    run.

    Isobel & Eric