Suprime-Cam schedule tonight

From: Mamoru Doi (doi@ioa.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp)
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 18:08:55 PST

    Hi Saul,

    As we agreed, we will take more images in two fields
    tonight to go deep enough.

    (1) fields
    It is easy for us to ask more observations in the
    central field SXDS_1, since X-ray observations are
    deeper at the center. Fortunately the images taken so
    far for SXDS_1 are reasonably good. So we would like
    to choose one field here.

    The other candidate fields to go deeper are SXDS_2 or
    SXDS_5, where we found many SN candidates possibly
    due to image quality. Those two fields look competitive,
    and it is very hard to choose one. Maybe SXDS_2 might
    be slightly better because of small number of very
    bright stars.

    (2) amount of additional exposures
    Probably we can ask another 50min exposures for two fields
    (total 100min), if the seeing is better than
    0.7arcsec. We can do deeper probably by 0.4 mag.

    I assume that we carry out observations rather at
    mid night, because the observing conditions are
    rather poor in the evening (low elevation, statistically
    worse seeing).

    This evening I have to go up to the summit once.
    I leave Hilo at 4PM and come back at around 9PM.
    My cell phone number (for the car) is 808-987-2049.
    The phone number at the summit is 808-934-5861.
    Naoki and Nobunari will take care when I go up.
    Their phone numbers are
    1) observing room (at night)
       808-934-5059
    2) library room (in the afternoon)